Menu

Easy Grammer pros and cons please?

momo4

I searched and couldn't find any opinions on this curriculum. Anyone tried it and liked it didn't like it? I know someone who uses it with Daily Grams and likes them both. Any help would be great. We are just finishing up FLL 1 and2. The price of FLL 3 is a bit too much right now and I wasn't super happy with Abeka Language A. Have looked at R&S and also BJU, but can't make up my mind. I really enjoyed FLL 1&2.

TIA

Momo

I don't believe it's necessary to use Daily Grams simultaneously, but many people do.

Easy Grammar, along with lots of writing (copywork and dictation, if you're doing that) and reading good literature, is enough for most dc, IMHO.

Of course, many dc will need more than one year of EG. That's why Wanda Phillips wrote more than one level :-)

We have just started using Easy Grammer and the only draw back I can see is that the rules are spelled out for them and then they do a few sentences and then they do the assignment. So if a child was lazy they could just read the rules and not actually remember them for the next time. But I am having my daughter make a notebook writing down all the grammer rules she learns with examples and then we review the rules when she does a writing assignment having her look in her book for the rules and then correct her mistakes. Otherwise I think it explains grammer very clearly and makes it seem really simple and easy which is great to get my daughters confidence up. Not a lot of review, I think we will get the daily grams once we get through the rules on grammer and puctuation so that she can use the skills more. I think it is a good first grammer book to learn the rules before you get into more complicated grammer. We are using the 3rd grade book so I don't know about the older books and how they compare.

Kris

it was dragging on too long for us. My dd is 15 (9th grade) and has been using EG Plus. We finally decided we could probably accomplish the same thing using a workbook from Steck-Vaughn called Grammar Review for Middle Grades and Up along with a book on diagramming. It moves along lots quicker, which is what she wants. We don't really adhere completely to Classical ways, so I may not be the best one to anwer. I have been having my ds10 do grammar in depth for 3 years now and I'm not sure it's the best thing. I can't say he really remembers the concepts after a bit of time has passed. We are planning on laying off the "formal" grammar for the next few years and use LLATL. I think one can safely put off grammar until their students are older, cover it once and be done with it.

My best suggestion is to just try EG, but don't be a slave to all those worksheets, which is what I am...I just can't stand leaving worksheets undone!!!LOL!!!

Good luck.

Robin