Menu

Please Give Your Opinion on 10th and 7th Grade Schedules

I am going into my 3rd year of homeschooling my rising 10th grade ds. For the first time I will be adding in my 7th grade nephew long distance (he is PST and we are CST). I would like to seek opinions on the schedule I have created. My ds works at honors level except he struggles with algebra and my nephew is average but struggles with spelling and reading comprehension.

8-9:00 am Algebra 1: Lial’s Introductory Algebra (10th) – Mon through Thurs

9:00-10:00 am English 10: Write Source Grade 10, Daily Language Workout, Word Roots CD-Rom, and Editor in Chief CD-Rom; English 7: The Writing Road to Reading and Easy Grammar – Mon through Fri

10:00-11:00 am History/Geography/Literature – Mon through Thurs

· History – 10th TWTM and Beautiful Feet Sr.; 7th Famous Men of the Middle Ages w/Activity Guide and Beautiful Feet Jr.

· Geography – Map Trek and The Ultimate Geography Guide (Both)

· Literature – 10th Combination of Windows to the World, Excellence in Literature, and TWTM; 7th TWTM

Music and Art: Self- Designed Charlotte Mason style (Both) - Fri

11:00-11:30 am Japanese: Irasshai Videos and Texts (Both) – Mon through Thurs

Study Skills: Self-Designed (Both) – Fri

11:30-12:00 pm LUNCH

12:00-1:00 pm Geometry: Holt Geometry 7th Edition w/Jann in TX (10th) – Mon through Thursday

1-4:30 pm Block Schedule w/15 min snack break

· Anatomy/Health: PH A&P Text, TC Human Anatomy DVD, Guesthollow Website, and Nutrition 101 (Both) – Mon and Tues

· Logic/Rhetoric – Memoria Press and TWTM (Both but individually) – Wed

· Elective – Every 6 weeks chose from Philosophy, World Religion, Bible Study, Creative Writing, Sat/ACT Prep, College & Career, Photography, etc.(Both) – Thurs

· P.E. : 10th Rotate Gymnastics, Teen Challenge, Bowling, Basketball, and Tennis (not sure about 7th yet) – Fri

So what do you think? Does it seem feasible? Have I covered everything?

Edited to make suggested changes. They are shown in bold type!

Edited by jibaker103

That's 2.5 hours of math daily? That seems like too much to me. Since he'll be taking the geometry class with Jann, I'd ask her advice on how much time he should spend on algebra. I would think about 45 minutes daily, in addition to the geometry work, would be the maximum since it doesn't sound like math is his strength.

I'm also seeing science only on Mondays? Health is a good elective, but I would want a strong science program for the 10th grader. IMO health alone can be fine for the 7th grader.

Just the things that I noticed. I'm not familiar with the specific programs you'll be using. I think it's great that the cousins will be working together on homeschooling! :)

No science???

I also find this is a lot of math. I am a bit puzzled that he is taking algebra 1 and geometry concurrently - algebra is needed for geometry and these are not usually taken simultaneously (alg 2 and geometry are without problem)

I did not see the built-in breaks in your schedule. No lunch break?

12:30-1 pm Japanese: Irasshai Videos and Texts (Both) – Mon, Wed, and Fri

I would probably want more time for this. The videos are about 30 minutes long themselves. Even if you watched the video Mon, I'd want some time to discuss the video afterwards.

Also if you only work on it 1.5 hours per week, will it give you enough time to be considered a credit? The other issue that would concern me would be you're backing this right up to an online class. I would want a buffer of 10-15 minutes minimum for transition time.

Yes, when is lunch? I think if you start at 8 and don't break for lunch until 1 or after you'll need a snack time, at least for the 7th grader. I know last year my ds needed to eat every couple of hours to stay focused.

12:30-1 pm Japanese: Irasshai Videos and Texts (Both) – Mon, Wed, and Fri

I would probably want more time for this. The videos are about 30 minutes long themselves. Even if you watched the video Mon, I'd want some time to discuss the video afterwards.

Also if you only work on it 1.5 hours per week, will it give you enough time to be considered a credit? The other issue that would concern me would be you're backing this right up to an online class. I would want a buffer of 10-15 minutes minimum for transition time.

I didn't see where I could squeeze in more time so I added a fourth day. If you have a suggestion I am all ears! I am using this Japanese course as an introduction so that ds does not go in cold when he starts taking it at the cc next year. If he changes his mind about cc we will hit hard Jr and Sr years.

That's 2.5 hours of math daily? That seems like too much to me. Since he'll be taking the geometry class with Jann' date=' I'd ask her advice on how much time he should spend on algebra. I would think about 45 minutes daily, in addition to the geometry work, would be the maximum since it doesn't sound like math is his strength.

I have been talking with Jann in TX for several weeks and after assessing my ds feels he can handle both Algebra 1 and Geometry. Ultimately the final decision was left to my ds. Since ds has completed one semester of Algebra 1 most of the first semester will be review and he will probably accomplish it 45 minutes. New material may take one hour.

I'm also seeing science only on Mondays? Health is a good elective, but I would want a strong science program for the 10th grader. IMO health alone can be fine for the 7th grader.

I have changed Anatomy/Health for 1.5 credits to two days for a total of 7 hours. He will use either Marieb's Essentials of Human Anatomy & Physiology or Colbert's Anatomy & Physiology for Health Professionals with an Anatomy coloring book, Prof. Diamond's lectures on YouTube or TC Human A&P DVD, and labs and other materials from the Guesthollow website for high school.

The health portion will consist of using Nutrition 101: Chose Life, CPR/First Aid Certification and Babysitting Class, and other material from the Guesthollow website for high school.

Just the things that I noticed. I'm not familiar with the specific programs you'll be using. I think it's great that the cousins will be working together on homeschooling! :)

We are excited about homeschooling together as well. We plan to test out our webcams, headsets, and software next week to make sure everything works smoothly before school starts on the 22nd.

I didn't see where I could squeeze in more time so I added a fourth day. If you have a suggestion I am all ears! I am using this Japanese course as an introduction so that ds does not go in cold when he starts taking it at the cc next year. If he changes his mind about cc we will hit hard Jr and Sr years.

We'll be using Irasshai this year. If you work through both volumes it's considered 3 years of instruction. I've considered spreading out the work over more than 3 years or asking him to work during the summers. That might be an option, if he decides not to go the CC route.

We are excited about homeschooling together as well. We plan to test out our webcams, headsets, and software next week to make sure everything works smoothly before school starts on the 22nd.

So math will actually be less than 2 hours a day - that sounds much more doable. He must actually be a strong math student if Jann feels he can handle both algebra 1 and geometry. :)

My misunderstanding on the science class. I can see that you're intending for both a thorough anatomy and physiology class and a health class rather than just the health class. Sounds good.

Very cool set up you've got planned! Please keep us posted as I haven't heard of this being done here before. It opens up so many possibilities when one or more students can be homeschooling together virtually - outside of the typical virtual classrooms. :)