Menu

Medieval History: TOG Y2 (half of it) vs other

Ds11 is going to be studying medieval history this year, and when looking at TOG Y2 I noticed that Units 3 and 4 (especially 4) cover a lot of early American history. We just did 2 years of American history with Sonlight, and I don't really want to cover it again so soon.

For those of you who have used or are familiar with TOG Y2 for dialectic, first of all would you recommend it? If I omitted Unit 4 and possibly Unit 3, would I miss so much non-American-History material that it would be more sensible to just use a different program entirely? I hope that made sense and you get the basic idea of what I'm trying to ask. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks!

There is an very large amount of material in Y2. We finished Y2U1-U3 in a school year and are finishing U4 this summer at a slower pace. I think there is enough there to either do the first two units and just do more of it (since you can't really do all of it in a given rotation anyway), or if you chose to do U3-U4 you could focus on the European versus the American history.

Year 2 is packed pretty full. I think a reasonable goal for a D level student who is very familiar with the Revolutionary War era is to do units 1-3 in a year. Unit 3 is not to be missed, IMHO. So many American history studies jump from Columbus to Jamestown and the Mayflower to the Sons of Liberty. TOG unit 3 covers both quite a bit of important European history but also the founding and early history of all of the individual American colonies. It makes your eventual study of the Declaration of Independence and the US Consitution so much more meaningful. Particularly at the D level, this study is fascinating. As a PP said, you could just pick and choose from unit 4.

Enjoy!

Edited by Renaissance Mom
edited for clarity

Year 2 is packed pretty full. I think a reasonable goal for a D level student who is very familiar with the Revolutionary War era is to do units 1-3 in a year. Unit 3 is not to be missed, IMHO. So many American history studies jump from Columbus to Jamestown and the Mayflower to the Sons of Liberty. TOG unit 3 covers both quite a bit of important European history but also the founding and early history of all of the individual American colonies. It makes your eventual study of the Declaration of Independence and the US Consitution so much more meaningful. Particularly at the D level, this study is fascinating. As a PP said, you could just pick and choose from unit 4.

Enjoy!

:iagree: If you had time in your overall plan you could easily break Y2 into two years. We may take a full calendar year when we repeat Y2 at the D & R level just to not feel rushed.