Menu

Talk to me about ARTistic Pursuits or another drawing program

happypamama

I'm looking at ARTistic Pursuits for my 9yo fourth grader. Looks like each book has about 64 lessons, right? If you use this program, how often do you use it? I'm thinking about once a week, maybe twice, so it would last us for a couple of years.

Would I need the art supply packs? Or would I be able to get everything we need, as we need it, with coupons, at our local ACMoore/Michael's?

Or can anyone recommend any other drawing programs that would be good for fourth graders? DD likes to draw, so I want to capitalize on that. ARTistic Pursuits is appealing to me because it looks like the lessons are straightforward and spelled out -- this is one area where leaving it up to me to plan the lesson is probably not a good plan.

I LOVE ARTistic Pursuits and teach it as a class for my homeschool group. I buy our supplies from Dick Blick because I'm buying for several students and get discounts. Some of the items you'll be able to find easily at Michael's and others (like good quality pastels that blend smoothly) might be harder to come by. It really depends on what book you're using. You could definitely find most of the drawing materials for book 1 there... not so much for the color book - at least that's the case with my local Michael's.

I taught the 4-6th grade book to a class of 2-10th graders and just deepened the instruction for the olders while allowing the youngers to simply add to their skills as they were able. We met every other week, so book 1 lasted for 2 yrs. The improvement in their drawing skills was phenomenal!

I LOVE ARTistic Pursuits and teach it as a class for my homeschool group. I buy our supplies from Dick Blick because I'm buying for several students and get discounts. Some of the items you'll be able to find easily at Michael's and others (like good quality pastels that blend smoothly) might be harder to come by. It really depends on what book you're using. You could definitely find most of the drawing materials for book 1 there... not so much for the color book - at least that's the case with my local Michael's.

I taught the 4-6th grade book to a class of 2-10th graders and just deepened the instruction for the olders while allowing the youngers to simply add to their skills as they were able. We met every other week, so book 1 lasted for 2 yrs. The improvement in their drawing skills was phenomenal!

Thank you so much -- this is really helpful! I am thinking I'll start with the 4-6 book, book 1; the first grader can come along for the ride. :)