Menu

Paper for WRTR

Kathleen in LV

I'm considering using the WRTR for kindergarden. The book recommends using paper with 5/8-inch spacing between lines for beginners through second grade, contending that wider spacing forces children to draw letters instead of writing. (And it discourages using paper with a dotted midline.)

While I appreciate this concept, it strikes me that this is very small spacing for a 5-year old.

If anybody has used this smaller spacing paper for a beginning writer, I would be interested in whether it was successful and any other input you might have.

Thanks,

Kathleen

I've never tried it before, but I'm thinking of doing it this year. I've noticed that large letters/numbers seem to be more difficult, at least for my children.

Yesterday my newly-4yo asked me how to make a lower case d, and after helping her a few times she tried on her own. The "c"part and the long line never quite met up. A few minutes later I looked over, and she had made three beautiful "d"s on her own -- each was about 1 cm tall! So I'm definitely starting to rethink which paper I use to teach writing.

Good luck!

--Pamela

I did not use WRTR, but my dd had a very, very hard time with handwriting when she was forced to use large lined paper (In private K and then when we started HS in 1st grade). When I moved her to smaller lined paper it made a dramatic difference for her (I don't know the actual measurement, but I think the paper was labeled 3rd grade). I also used Handwriting Without Tears, and the K book had those huge lines, and the 1st grade book wasn't much smaller. I dropped the 1st grade book and had her use the 2nd grade book for 1st grade and it was like a different child writing. I used the 3rd grade cursive book for second, and cursive was much easier for her too.

My son has done much better with writing since I switched him to smaller lines as well. I first thought to do that when I was having trouble writing in those WWE1 lines where the parent writes the narration. It's HARD to write in those big lines! So I figured if it was hard for me, it might be hard for him too. Sure enough...