Menu

composer study

DDR

My son is in his second year of piano and my daughter will be starting soon. I'm hoping to do very simple composer studies with them throughout the year. I'm thinking pick one composer a week, listen to the CDs during breakfast and check out some library books on each one. My knowledge in this area is nearly nonexistant so I'm eager to learn with them. Can anyone direct me to a list of composers to use as a starting point? Thanks.

We did that a couple of years ago, and I also had no previous knowledge or experience in this area. There were two particular series of books that we liked that we were able to get through the library. The Famous Children series and the Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers series by Mike Venezia. Famous Children is just about their childhood and is really good for a younger child. The Venezia books are for a little older child in that they have a lot of humor that my then 4yo didn't understand, but she still enjoyed the books nonetheless. So each week or two, I got a book from each series about the same composer, and I also was able to get some CD's at the library so we could listen to the music. We had a great time with it.