Menu

Best 5 American History Biographies or Historical Fiction?

We haven't read too much historical fiction about the US... but my daughter and I enjoyed:

Chains (and Forge)

Fever 1793

To Kill a Mockingbird

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Julie of the wolves

Now that I look at that list... it's totally girl-oriented. Sorry!

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing -- excellent book (I want to read the sequel, but haven't yet)

From School Library Journal:

"
Starred Review.
Grade 9 Up–In this fascinating and eye-opening Revolution-era novel, Octavian, a black youth raised in a Boston household of radical philosophers, is given an excellent classical education. He and his mother, an African princess, are kept isolated on the estate, and only as he grows older does he realize that while he is well dressed and well fed, he is indeed a captive being used by his guardians as part of an experiment to determine the intellectual acuity of Africans. As the fortunes of the Novanglian College of Lucidity change, so do the nature and conduct of their experiments. [...] Readers will have to wait for the second volume to find out the protagonist's fate. The novel is written in 18th-century language from Octavian's point of view and in letters written by a soldier who befriends him. Despite the challenging style, this powerful novel will resonate with contemporary readers. The issues of slavery and human rights, racism, free will, the causes of war, and one person's struggle to define himself are just as relevant today. Anderson's use of factual information to convey the time and place is powerfully done."