Menu

Videos/Audio in your head when you read

My daughter says she can not do this. She can not visualize a book. She also can't "feel" a book or become a character. She hates to read. She is a fast reader.

I don't really visualize myself but I do "hear" the characters as if they are talking next to me. I can feel the characters and be the characters in my mind. I don't really see them though. I love to read and I am a fast reader. However, I can go without reading and be just as happy. (strange thing is I am not an auditory learner -listening is my weakest area)

DH sees a movie in his head. He is one of the slowest darn readers in the known universe but he loves to read. I mean he loves it. He can't "not" read to the point that it it leads to marital arguments.

Where do you fall? Do you see, hear, feel, etc?

I see movies too but I'm a pretty fast reader. There are certain scenes in a book that I won't 'play' in my mind so that I can get through it faster. You know there are always parts of a book that drag a bit or aren't crucial to the story. I skim past those quickly but still hear my own voice in my head.

I wonder if you can learn to see the movie? I sometimes have a visual flash of something in my mind but basically I just hear the book or feel the book.

My husband is usually more disappointed in movie version because something didn't "look" the way he imagined. I tend to be disappointed because they left out a scene that I had an emotional tie to.