Menu

Can you tell me your results using Spelling Power

kandty

I have a struggling speller and we have made no progress since second grade (now 5th). He is an excellent reader and above level! :001_smile: I am considering Spelling Power, but I really don't know. If you have used this program can you tell me what kind of results you got with your DC. :confused: Thanks!

Extremely mixed results.

The heart of Spelling Power is doing their multi step process with each word that is spelled incorrectly. My ds 10 could do that process and STILL not learn the word. He was paying attention. It just didn't work for him.

My ds7 rarely misspells a word. The program works for him because it allows me to do spelling with him and is mostly painless. I don't think he is learning a whole lot because he already gets spelling.

So as a big list of interesting words sorted by difficulty, it is great. As a way of really teaching spelling... not so much.

Thanks everyone so far! Any others?

My experience (and opinion) is that Spelling Power works well for natural spellers but not so much for struggling spellers.

My struggling speller has done really well with All About Spelling.

This is what I always thought because of those I know who where using it (all natural spellers). But, I have read reviews from those with struggling spellers who have had great results. This is why I am looking at the program again. We used AAS for 2.5 years and didn't gain any ground in that time. :001_huh: I had high hopes for that program and thought that it would work.

My experience (and opinion) is that Spelling Power works well for natural spellers but not so much for struggling spellers.

Spelling Power was fantastic for my child who was a natural. In fact after a year I just stopped using it because it was a waste of his time. BUT for my dismal speller? OY. NIGHTMARE. Weeks of getting three letter words wrong.

The ONLY thing that has worked has been Sequential Spelling. Love it.