Menu

Rod and Staff P45-HELP, about to take the plunge and buy it!

threelilbirds

Did you mean the Preschool A-B-C series? Well, they're pretty good, but you should understand that R&S considers "preschool" anything before first grade, and in Mennonite schools, the cut-off dates are often in the summer, so "first grade" can mean children as old as 7, which means that "preschool" will be children at least 5yo. IOW, you may find that the skills taught in the Preschool series are challenging for a 4yo.

Which doesn't mean you shouldn't get them, only that you should be aware that your ds might not be develomentally ready for all of the activities. :-)

I started them at age 3.5 (with a speech delayed child who had only been talking for about 6 months and didn't know any colors or numbers at all). I did them on a "when he wants to" basis. We actually have only gotten through 2 of the books (Adventures with Books and Counting with Numbers), as I've also added in other things. He did really well with those two books though, and he now writes beautiful numbers (and I LOVE those phrases they use!), knows all his colors, and can count to 10 easily. In fact, he was able to finish SM EM K book A today, writing the numbers all himself no problem, because he had done the R&S book C earlier.

I think the ABC books are great for a 3-4 year old, the DEF books are good for 4-5 year old, and the GHI books are probably more K level (though I don't have those - I've seen them).

It's perfect for a four or five year old (that's the age ranges listed on the website, actually). They also have a series for three to four year olds.

It's perfect for a four or five year old (that's the age ranges listed on the website, actually). They also have a series for three to four year olds.

Of course, the Web site isn't actually owned by the publisher. The publisher doesn't specify any ages for the ABC series; it just says "preschool." :-)