Menu

What do you do when you cook something your family doesn't like?

Eat it myself and let them starve. Anyone rude enough to go 'eeewwww' and complain can starve in my house. And NO sneaking into the kitchen and making a Pb&J either. Even if you don't think you'll like something you can at least try it and respect the effort the cook put into it, if you don't like it after you try it then that is okay. Just don't mock the food and go 'eeewwww' or you will know the wrath of MOM.

Ditto. But my DH is usually the enforcer. If you don't like it, don't eat, but don't talk about it. Kids who say anything negative about the food invariably affect the other kids who might have eaten/tried it otherwise.

DH will eat whatever I cook, even if it is gross, just to respect me / my effort and to set a good example.

If you don't want your kids doing it at someone else's house, you can't allow it at your own. What would DH do if you were at your grandma's house and she cooked something he didn't like? Smile, eat a little, etc, so as not to offend the cook. He owes you the same respect, as do your kids.

:iagree: There is already an established rule at my house that people who turn up their noses and complain about what I cook can just go to their rooms for the rest of the night.

Ayuh. We (I) subscribe to the "eat what you are given, graciously (even if you're sure it might kill you)" etiquette clause. This applies to ALL members of the household, at anyone's table.

And sometimes, the grownups have to suck it up and set a good example for the children.