Menu

Emotional sensitivity and giftedness

My ds, who is 7yo, is a very bright boy, academically. Reads at a 5th grade level; understands middle 3rd grade math concepts (and has since about the middle of 1st grade). But, oi, the whining when asked to do work he at first doesn't recognize, along with whining about other things. And yet, many times, he can be the most thoughtful child.

Is there a correlation to giftedness and moodiness or is it just his age?

(Can I just make everyone go back to bed and fast forward to tomorrow? :tongue_smilie:)

Is there a correlation to giftedness and moodiness or is it just his age?

(Can I just make everyone go back to bed and fast forward to tomorrow? :tongue_smilie:)

Short answer, yes. Google Dabrowski's over excitabilities and giftedness. It might have you nodding your head and going, "aah, that's my child!"

The way Kurcinka described the "spirited child" is a similar way of looking at it, although she doesn't address the giftedness aspect, merely the sensitivities and behavioral issues. This quote sums it up perfectly:

Profound statements roll from his mouth, much too mature and intel lectual for a child of his age. He remembers experiences you’ve long since forgotten and drags you to the window to watch the raindrops, falling like diamonds from the sky. On the good days being the parent of a spirited child is astounding, dumbfounding, wonderful, funny, interesting, and interspersed with moments of brilliance.

The dreadful days are another story. On those days you’re not sure you can face another twenty-four hours with him. It’s hard to feel good as a parent when you can’t even get his socks on, when every word you’ve said to him has been a reprimand, when the innocent act of serving tuna casserole instead of the expected tacos incites a riot, when you realize you’ve left more public places in a huff with your child in five years than most parents do in a lifetime.

http://www.parentchildhelp.com/SpiritedChild/BookExcerpt/tabid/61/Default.aspx

My DS is, as far as I can tell, on the mild side of gifted if that (maybe he's just accelerated, who knows?) but I do deal with the overexcitabilites, perfectionism, hypersensitivity, etc.

Ah, yes. :glare: Fun stuff, lol. Keeping them challenged is important, otherwise they start to only want things they can do easily.

:iagree: I have the exact same issue with dd7. We worked on this a lot this year and I have seen improvement in what she is willing to tackle.

OP, there is definitely a correlation. Sounds like Dd7 is very similar to your son. Some days, I just feel emotionally drained.

ah, had to add this little tidbit--- just came back from a visit to my parents' house, and my 16 year old brother goes, "Why is your son so emo?"

I only recently realized that my own moodiness was tied up into giftedness when I started trying to understand my son. He's so much like me it's scary. :001_huh: