Menu

Please help me pick a game

We will be studying American History and Geography this year, and I was thinking one of the following games might be fun. This would be for my 1st, 4th, and 6th graders specifically, but all of us will play. Fun is important, but I also am hoping for educational value.

Has anyone tried either of the following? I would love some feedback:

Great States game

Sequence Game

I have not seen either of those games, sorry.

Here is a few things I did when the girls were younger.

1. they had a large wooden cutout puzzle of the United States, they liked to time themselves on how quickly they could put it together.

2. We had a map of the US on the wall and as I read books (fiction or nonfiction) that had a definite PLACE to them the girls would find and mark the place on the map. ie. Brighty of the Grand Canyon

3. I modified the game Chronology for just the cards I thought they could manage. We place lots of different games with the card.

hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...

DON'T buy Great States!!!

I did and was appalled at how many "errors" and "typos" and incorrect things I found on that game.

Here are some of the Amazon review excerpts that sum up some of the same types of things I personally found when we played the game:

"is it too much to ask International Playthings to proofread their questions? We came across a number of questions with incomplete answers, which are easy enough to fix when we know the answers. It makes me wonder about the ones we don't know (state birds?), however. Are those correct, or misprints? Also, some of the pictures don't match what is on the card, which makes it tough for young kids when the directions say to match the pictures. Finally, for advanced play it recommends using the cards that are "starred" to indicate a question that older children should refrain from looking at the board. Not one of the questions has a star. Ridiculous. Great concept, but this isn't nuclear physics. Of course we can work around it, but it's unfortunate that the execution is so sloppy"

and

"we have come across numerous cards with incorrect answers on them. (Example: What are the two states that start with the letter O? Answer: Oregon and Ohio. Last time I checked Oklahoma was still in the United States.) I am very reluctant to keep playing this with her as I'm wondering how many other answers are wrong that we don't know about."

and

" During our first game we found errors on four of the question cards. The colors on the cards don't match those on the board which makes identification of state birds frustrating to impossible for young children. What a shame quality was not an objective in the production and how misleading the Oppenheim Toy Award is in this case."

and

"while playing the game for our first time, we encountered several game cards with incomplete answers. For example, the answer given for "Name states with double N's in their name" omitted Connecticut"

---

I've never heard of the Sequence game but it can't possibly be worse than Great States. :P

My kids (8 and almost 10) enjoy the Scrambled States of America game. And I know you mean board games, but they LOVE Stack the States on the ipad (I'm amazed at how much they learned when we took a train trip last week and they were playing it). We also have that States and Capitals Sequence game (I had forgotten), but we haven't played it yet. Good luck!!

Jodie