Menu

CW-Homer Question

sahm99

We started CW-Homer A this spring, but just did the first couple of lessons before the summer.

I plan on picking it up in September and then go into Homer B, sometime in January.

What do you think is the best way (or the "least bad":tongue_smilie:) to accelerate? I really need/want to be done with Homer by the end of April...

Thank you for any suggestions!

One way you can accelerate is to create your own lesson plans instead of using the workbook, so that you can work through the skill levels faster, or skip the ones that your dc has already mastered. When I first started using Homer, there were no workbooks, and I had to take the suggested models and come up with everything myself. What was good about this was that I could just skip to the next skill level when I wanted, and could go at the pace I needed.

So, for example, in the Instructor's Guide for Homer B for Week 8, you're "waiting" on Days 1, 3 & 4, so that you can finish Skill Level 7 for Day 2. That means that on Days 1, 3, & 4, your dc isn't doing anything new, but is just doing the "Routine" they've learned in previous weeks. For most students, this is what they need in order to get comfortable with the program, but for others, it may be unnecessary.

Using the workbook you spend about 2 weeks per skill level (there are 10), fo 20 weeks. If you want to finish in 12-16 weeks, you'll just need to decide which skill levels to move through more quickly, and will need to change activties. You can probably still use the workbook, but will need to give new instructions to your dc.

If you use the workbook, you'll need to choose which weeks to eliminate. With the remaining weeks, you'll need to add in the lessons skipped. For example, if you want to skip Week 8 ("Martyrdom of St. Alban"), then the only change you'll need to make to Week 9 is on Day 2, where you'll need to make sure that you've taught Skill Level 7, lesson 5 before moving to Skill Level 8. (Or you can add SL7, lesson 5 to the Day 2 lesson for Week 7).

Does that make sense?

The Writing Projects should be fine -- you'll just do less of them. for example, instead of doing four of WP#8, you might only do three. I think that the WPs for Arrangement can be the most difficult, but also the most fun, so you shouldn't skimp too much on those.

Feel free to ask more questions.

HTH,