Menu

Pharmacy school question (x-post)

I'm posting this on the College board as well, but thought maybe someone here might also have some information.

If one had the slightest interest in going to pharmacy school, what would be the very best courses for high school. I realize that very good scores on the SAT/ACT and other tests would be needed, of course, but as far as math and science go. . .what types would one need?

Also, are all pharmacy programs 0-6 years -- meaning you must declare and enter as a known pharmacy track, or are there other options? Can you have an associates and get credit for that, then go another 4 years? Or can you have even more than that -- maybe even closer to a Bachelors and then enter pharmacy school for 2 or more years? I am very confused how that all works and the university that I've looked into makes it appear the only option is 0-6 all the way through.

Thanks for any help.

I just posted in the pre-pharmacy school thread, so you may want to read my comments there. My daughter is entering her fifth year of a 0-6 program.

I'll add here that there are more options than the 0-6 direct entry programs right out of high school. That was the best option in our daughter's case. Some places will allow you to enter after you finish two years of undergrad. Some places require a Bachelor's degree.

My daughter's high school courses included AP Biology and AP Chemistry. I *think* she took either Honors or AP Physics, can't recall. She did take AP Calculus. She also took AP level courses in English and History. I don't think she took AP Stats or any stats in high school. She did very well in high school science and math. She also had the required test scores, class rank, and letters of recommendation. She wasn't homeschooled--we started homeschooling our younger two girls when our oldest daughter was going into 12th grade.

Best wishes.:001_smile:

I graduated pharmacy school in the nineties and I can tell you that a lot has changed since then. Today most pharmacy school require a BS before applying. The days of getting in with an AA are pretty much gone now because virtually all pharmacy schools have eliminated the BSPharm in favor of the PharmD degree. If your student is ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that they want to do pharmacy, then a 6 year program out of high school is the way to go...it is the most time and cost effective for you and your student. Otherwise if there is any doubt, have your student get a BS degree in any science or math first, then apply to pharmacy school if he or she still wants to go. This may be a safer route because all those science and math classes can translate well into medical school, dental school, etc., if they decide against pharmacy.

In terms of high school classes, select classes as if your student is going into medical school....meaning biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, calculus, physics, and foreign language. (pharmacists need to be able to speak with patients in more than just English....Spanish is highly recommended....also great asset when applying to pharmacy jobs).

Hope this helps.

From the trenches,

Lavender

Thanks for these replies. My oldest dd could possibly be on the path to pharmacy, but she could possibly be on the path to a lot of things. She is extremely self-motivated. She has many interests, but nothing that she has her heart set on at this time.

This means that we need to plan ahead for many different scenarios. She likes piano, but she is also very good in math and sciences. She just truly doesn't have a real sense of what she might like to do.

When I looked up the pharmacy information at Butler (closest pharm school to us), it appeared that you had to know before entering your undergrad that you were going into pharmacy school and that everything is "tracked" from the first moment forward. I need to look into other programs, but it seems a bit difficult to figure this all out (as opposed to just a 4 yr degree).

So if the scenario was that she got a BS in some Bio/Chem field (as though she was preparing for dentisty, med school, OT, pharmacy, etc), how many years would she then need to go afterwards for her PharmD? Just 2 more years? That's where a lot of my confusion lies.

Thanks for the help!

Pharmacy school itself is a four year process, just like medical school. So after she gets a BS degree, she would still have to do all four years of pharmacy school. Years 1-3 of pharmacy school are all didactic classroom years, the final fourth year consists of monthly rotations to different pharmacy sites....hospital pharmacy, community pharmacy, nuclear pharmacy, etc., usually 10-15 different sites in all, depending on the school.

In other words, there is no way to shorten your time once you are accepted into pharmacy school. No different than med school.

lavendar,

So if I am reading (different university sites & your post) correctly, then it really would be best to make a decision prior to getting a 4yr degree, correct? One would really only want to get the first 2 yrs in before going to pharmacy school -- if the goal is to go to school for the shortest length possible to get that degree?

Thanks.

lavendar,

So if I am reading (different university sites & your post) correctly, then it really would be best to make a decision prior to getting a 4yr degree, correct? One would really only want to get the first 2 yrs in before going to pharmacy school -- if the goal is to go to school for the shortest length possible to get that degree?

Thanks.

I'm not lavender, but I will try to answer your question. If the goal is to go the shortest time possible and ensure that you have an admission, yes, the 0-6 programs are probably best. Around here, there are some schools you can apply to after two years in a Bachelor's program, but they are so competitive. I have heard of kids who have 3.9 GPAs and they are not getting in--lots of them. If you choose a school that requires you to do several years pre-pharmacy and then apply to the professional program, do your research on how many kids are/are not getting in at that point as well as their stats (grades, etc.).

As far as going into a 0-6 program, it's a good idea (IMO) if your child is certain this is what they want. My daughter was able to obtain her intern license after her first year of college. She had enough credit hours in a professional program to qualify because of the credit she received for AP classes. This made a big difference for her in terms of summer pay rate. The 0-6 programs are considered professional programs from the beginning.

If your child isn't really sure about whether pharmacy is what they desire, I don't know that the 0-6 programs make sense.

Edited by Violet

Violet pretty much answered your question. Really the quickest path is the 6 year program with a school that offers this, but ONLY if your daughter is CERTAIN that pharmacy is what she wants. If there is any doubt in her mind, then I would not do the 6 year program, precisely because it is considered "professional school" and those classes taken may not apply toward a BS degree later, if she changes her mind while in the 6 year program.

Also, you may want to try and have her get a job in a pharmacy, maybe as a clerk, to start to let her see how a pharmacy works and what the pharmacists and techs do on a daily basis. This may help her decide if this career is for her. She will see the good and the bad....yes, there is bad. I can PM you more on this if you really want to know.

Lavender

Violet pretty much answered your question. Really the quickest path is the 6 year program with a school that offers this, but ONLY if your daughter is CERTAIN that pharmacy is what she wants. If there is any doubt in her mind, then I would not do the 6 year program, precisely because it is considered "professional school" and those classes taken may not apply toward a BS degree later, if she changes her mind while in the 6 year program.

Also, you may want to try and have her get a job in a pharmacy, maybe as a clerk, to start to let her see how a pharmacy works and what the pharmacists and techs do on a daily basis. This may help her decide if this career is for her. She will see the good and the bad....yes, there is bad. I can PM you more on this if you really want to know.

Lavender

I volunteer in a hospital pharmacy and completely agree that she should either volunteer or work at one before she decides. *I* would never want to be a Pharmacist based on what I've observed, but I wouldn't mind being a Tech (and plan to throughout school).

I volunteer in a hospital pharmacy and completely agree that she should either volunteer or work at one before she decides. *I* would never want to be a Pharmacist based on what I've observed, but I wouldn't mind being a Tech (and plan to throughout school).

If you work in a hospital pharmacy, as I do....then you know exactly what I'm talking about! :001_smile:

Oh Lavender, please PM. I have plenty of info from the retail pharmacy side, so I'd love to hear about the hospital side.

Hi FourOaks,

I just PM'd you. Other than the types of medications involved (IVs, injectables, and chemo), there is not much difference between the retail side and the hospital side. The "negatives" apply to the profession as a whole, they are not site related. Emily's Act was the result of what happened at an Ohio children's hospital. Also, there is reason why hospital security offices are always positioned near the pharmacy, along with panic buttons. Believe me, I know.

Lavender