Menu

Ready, set, GO!

Well, we're off! Today we started dd's 8th grade homeschool year. As always, we have had a few wobbles on the first day and things are going more than a little bit slowly. However, I think our curriculum choices are going to work well and I am looking forward to the year.

And...as typical homeschoolers, our second day of school will be a field trip:D! Dd won her division of the local 4-H public speaking competition and will be representing our county at the state fair tomorrow. I am certainly counting that as a school day.

Our local public schools don't start until around the 25th of this month. I hope to be sailing smoothly by that time. And ready to swoop in and clean up on the after-the-back-to-school bargains. Unfortunately I've never met an office supply I didn't like.:tongue_smilie:

Hope everyone else is doing well and wish you all a great start. This will be our first year using Exploration Education's physical science and we will also be doing a cobbled together math review year to solidify dd's math skills prior to high school, so hope all continues to go well.

Upon closer inspection, not such an inspiration after all...

I always say the weakest link in our homeschool is our teacher!:D I get really bad spring fever. We start early so that come April, when I have my face plastered to the window, yearning to be outside, we will be nearing the end of the school year and I can get out there!

Besides, we don't have air conditioning in our house, so by August we are pretty much over summer. All we want to do is stay inside where it is cool and dim and move as little as physically possible. If we're going to be in here sitting around anyway...we might as well do school.

If I can get things really rolling along, our half-way point is around the end of November and we start finishing things up in March, with 90% done by mid April. Then, because we live in a state where I have to promise to provide 900 hours of education, we start what I call Fun School.

That is when we follow any interesting rabbit trails that catch our eye, work on 4-H projects, take lots of field trips, try bizarre new things with a high risk of complete and utter failure, etc. Not to mention, deal with putting in our garden and coping with new baby farm animals.