Menu

Child that doesn't like out of home activities.

I was hoping some of you might have some suggestions for me. My son is almost five and he only has a handful of things he is willing to leave the house to do. I like to get out of the house to go to the movies, a local play or leave town to go to a theme park or museum for kids. He pretty much freaks out whenever I mention any of these ideas. He does not want to even go to Disneyland even though I showed him pictures and videos and told him about it. He is only willing to go to the grocery store, library (but not for story time), and the pool. Just a few days ago I put my foot down and dragged him to the puppet show that was at the library. He always has a good time so I don't understand what there is to protest. He has been this way since I he was two or so. I guess I am just wondering how other moms deal with their little homebodies. Also please be nice. Every time I post a question I worry someone will read something the wrong way or that maybe I worded something incorrectly. I hope it reads that I love my son and that I would like to know if anyone has achieved balance between a homebody child and a mom that loves to get in the car and go! Thank you.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it, and I'd meet him where he is now in terms of his comfort with leaving the house. My DD8 was like that at that age--she was just happy at home and had a hard time transitioning out. Like your little guy, she always had fun doing whatever we ended up doing, but it was hard to get her going. (Hmmm, I just don't know where she gets that... :D). Anyway, the stage passed and now she's more than happy to go to everything anyone suggests to her--in fact, I have a hard time keeping up with her social needs these days, introvert that I am!

So I'd say don't stress about it :001_smile:

Don't force him. I have a son who is exactly the same way. It turns out that there is a very good reason for my son's behavior. It has to do with the way he experiences the world. He's has synesthesia. For him the world has an extra layer of stimulation for him. So what we see as "normal" can be overwhelming. As a teenager, he still will not go to an amusement park, or the movies and normal teenparties are a rarity. He's now old enough to talk reasonably about what is bothering him and we adjust out activitiy level to suit his needs. As a toddler and a young child....I was the mum with the kid laying in the aisle of Walmart with a full on screaming and kicking criying rage.

Now I'm not saying by any means that what my son has is what your son has....but to really say your not alone and it's not uncommon. Keep trying, tell him before hand what is going to happen, but not in enough detail or with enough time for him to put up a protest. And plan a "out" for the event.

For example, we took our then 5 yo to a small Jersey Shore boardwalk amusement park. (Note: not a full day Disney experience) We didn't purchase tons of ride tickects. Just a few. He rode a Car ride on a rail line...very sedate, but he got to "drive". He spent a lot of time watching the rides and our "out" was a picnic on the beach about a mile away where it was quiet and family oriented. He still views this experience as his amusement park visit, when in fact it was more like riding a carosel at the park and then moving on.

Keep the outings at his acceptance level and don't force things. Try to look at it this way, he's not on the other side of the spectrum where each new activity MUST be bigger, brighter, more challenging and more stimulating than ever before.

When he got to be a teenager, my son thinks twice about the activity before he participates, not really a bad thing for a teenage boy in my opinion.

I wouldn't force it but I would slowly try to expand his comfort zone. I would pick one new place to go to at a time and start taking him there (maybe even with a little pressure). I would not try for something as "exciting" as Disneyland though - yes, it is great fun it can be quite a lot for many kids. Maybe a nice playground (preferably during a quiet time when it is not overrun with other children), a smaller children's museum, a nearby park, a nature preserve, etc. Then I would go there regularly, maybe once a week until he feels comfortable. At that point I would add in something new.