Menu

Latin pronunciation - How vital is this?...

After 2 years of Latina Christiana, we are ready to do Henle next year. I did the first week in the MODG syllabus this morning, and it looks like it will be fairly easy (tho' a lot to review at once), **IF** we keep our mis-pronounced words.

We tend to over-accent the endings rather than the stems, *and* obviously, we try to keep all vowels longs since that is how LC recommends it. We have kept up our chants. We do all the conjugations and declensions and we even broke down the declensions into the cases (so I say "nominative" and we chant a, ae, us, i, um, a, etc.). This is DRILLED into our little heads. (And, I like that it helps us to know how the word is spelled just by saying it.)

As a teacher, I was always taught NEVER to teach something that will have to be untaught. And, this is killing me! Having to re-learn the *correct* classical pronunciation (ETA: Sorry, I guess that should be ecclesiastical - at this point IDK!) Anyway, it seems like lots of extra work & confusion for ds, who will be in 8th. I don't see him becoming a Latin scholar. Will it really matter?

Thanks,

Rhonda

As a teacher, I was always taught NEVER to teach something that will have to be untaught. And, this is killing me! Having to re-learning the *correct* classical pronunciation seems like lots of extra work & confusion for ds, who will be in 8th. I don't see him becoming a Latin scholar. Will it really matter?

Thanks,

Rhonda

While I think it's best to learn correct pronunciation, if it is something that will discourage you so much you might discontinue studying the language, then I'd say not to worry too much about it. Try your best, but don't make pronunciation the focus of your studies. You're still better off mispronouncing Latin and learning it than someone who has never learned it at all! :001_smile: Maybe spend a little time listening to the Wheelock pronunciation lessons and practicing a little bit, and then just go on without worrying about it too much. Chances are very good that you're pronouncing the language better than you think that you are. There are, in fact, a lot of classicists who are exploring the sounds of Latin and how it was used as a spoken language -- I think they'd probably be happy to know you're teaching your child Latin and encourage you to continue without letting the pronunciation issue stop you.

Having to re-learning the *correct* classical pronunciation seems like lots of extra work & confusion for ds, who will be in 8th. I don't see him becoming a Latin scholar. Will it really matter?

Only to snobby academics. Besides, if he sings in Latin at any point, he'll almost certainly use ecclesiastical pronunciation. I wouldn't sweat it.

jmho

We shall press on. After listening to the Wheelocks, it seems their pronunciation doesn't even agree completely with the words Henle gives for the sounds. Either that, or this Southern gal doesn't pronounce English correctly either! (A distinct possibility, I am sure ;))

I did find it interesting that some of the "long" vowels sounds sound just like the "short" vowels sound except they're actually "longer". I always thought that "long" and "short" were the most ridiculous labels for the vowels, but now I guess I know why.

:001_smile:

Rhonda

I have had similar thoughts myself. Earlier this year I bought some Lingua Latina materials including cd to supplement Henle. Listening to the cd has increased my confidence, and I've also noticed that the pronunciation on the cd varies somewhat. That alone helped me relax. Still, I expect that my Latin has a southern accent. Carpe diem, y'all. :D

HTH,

Martha

It's not like he will bump into a native speaker somewhere! :D

Well, that's sort of true! :001_smile: There are classicists who do speak Latin. And they even get together and have society meetings and conventions. Seriously!

http://www.wenval.cc/boreoccidentales/boreo_english/default.asp

http://www.uky.edu/AS/Classics/aestivumeng.html

But they have all had to either teach themselves or be taught Latin pronunciation and it's likely they're not all perfect either. I do think they'd encourage the original poster not to get discouraged and just do her best.