Menu

How to schedule Hands On Equations

DaisyMay

I just got Hands On Equations in the mail. It looks wonderful! I got the whole set with DVD because I am just not a mathy person :tongue_smilie:.

What's the best way to schedule this? I'm going to be doing it with a 5th grader, 7th grader, and 8th grader. I was planning on having us all do the lessons together. Should we do all the Level 1 lessons and then the problems in the Visual Equations book? About how long should we spend on level 1? I'm assuming we can move quickly through the levels, but don't really know.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Thank you!

Gayle

I've used it in the way that you described, but I have really stretched it out. I started it with my son at the beginning of 4th grade and got the idea from another mom on here to have him do a problem a day. We then changed that to 2 problems on Tuesdays and Thursdays. He is just now starting level 2.

However, you could definitely go through it much more quickly if you wanted to, especially with your older kids.

Lisa

It IS wonderful! You'll be very pleased with it.

For scheduling, we simply "did the next thing."

Yes, do all the Level 1 lessons in the Verbal Equations book. (Is it Visual Equations? My memory was Verbal. But whatever.) Then do all the Level 2 lessons. Then Level 3.

They aren't in this order in the book, so you'll have to skip ahead, then come back. We used sticky notes to hold our place.

We did just ONE problem a day many days, making the curriculum last a year or longer. (It's been a long time now.)

But it was very successful for us. It took very little time. It was crystal clear to my son. It made him feel brilliant at algebra.

I love Hands on Learning Equations! We just refer to it as "hoels" around here.

I never scheduled it -- just decided randomly that it was time to do some. Sometimes we'd just do one lesson at a time (later in the books), but the first few went really quickly. The first group I did it with were 2nd, 5th, and 7th, and that's when my "ah-ha" moment came! I did well in math in high school, but with no real understanding of the why of math -- hoels made it clear to me.

My youngest 2 (now 4th and 7th) have enjoyed it and still ask to get it out on fun math Fridays (which we have occasionally in a non-scheduled fashion).

I hope you enjoy it -- it's almost more of a game or puzzle to the kids.