Menu

Anyone NOT like Latin for Children and then like it after actually using it? ?

I don't know how to word my question. Basically I have two questions:

1. If you used and did not like LfC, why and what did you switch to?

2. If you looked at LfC and didn't like it initially but after actually using it for a while you decided it was a great program and you continued with it, what made you change your mind?

I have the master bundle sitting on my shelf and I viewed the DVD once and looked at the books several times. Somehow I can not fall in love with this program. I bought this based on the glorious review.

We did SSL and are half way through Getting Started with Latin. We (I) like the 10 sentence translation in each lesson. That makes it interesting and we get to see words used in sentences.

However, Latin for Children seems very dry. There are not sentences to translate, or very few at least. There are lots of words and rules to memorize. I am not motivated to start and my kids will be lost, too.

So if you tried Latin for Children and didn't like it, can you tell me why? What did you switch to?

For those who ended up liking it after initial dislike, what caused the change for you?

I am drawn to Lively Latin because it seems more gentle and kids get to practice the words more in context, at least that is my impression. But I don't want to give up on LfC yet if it will work for me.

I know, I know, you may tell me just go ahead and use it and then decide.

Edited by aomom

I combine LfC with GSwL. I like the gentleness and easy to get done aspect of GSwL; my boys love the LfC DVD's (and chant CD), and I like having another Latin teacher to back me up (thanks Dr. Perrin :)).

I'm not trying to make them match up, topic wise. We take about two weeks to get through one LfC chapter (lots of review), and do GSwL (usually) four days a week. We got up to lesson eighty-something in GSwL, and through Chapter 14 in LfC last year. We plan to finish up both books this year, and I will add in the LfC history reader for more translation.

We're on week 7 in LfC A. I have my own text/activity book and am learning along with my son.

I picked it based on a bunch of stuff I read (mostly here through a lot of old threads). I wanted classical pronunciation. I wanted to learn things correctly so I don't learn things that need correction later on. In lesson 1 we're told that we're doing memory work that we won't need until much later but it's just as easy to memorize now.

I am leaning towards using Wheelock in high school and it seems like LfC will get us a really solid foundation.

We are doing translations now. Only 2 word sentences, and this is where I think it's much better that I'm learning along with my son, because I can point out just why the endings matter. "Look, here servi has the -i ending, so it's plural, so you have to say "The slaves" rather than "The slave"..."

Hope you find a program that fits you.

I'm very pleased with LfC so far... and I'm buying my own copy of the History translation book because I know I'll want to write all over it... :glare:

My son is getting some great modeling of learning through this though. And with the derivatives, I've even learned a new word (cenacle). Pretty cool.