Menu

Help in Changing Math - Calvert to Singapore Standards

pahansen

Hi. We're leaving the cyber school and striking out on our own this year. :hurray:

My big concern is with making the move in math. Thing 1 is gifted and is very "mathy". Last year he skipped Calvert's 2nd grade math and went directly into 3rd grade math with no problems. It was good because there were a lot of new concepts in 3rd grade, which kept him busy. But now that it's time to make the move to Singapore, I'm concerned about where to put him. Do I go with 4A, or start over with 3A?

I have heard that Singapore is "ahead" and strenuous, but I have also heard that Calvert's math program is very good and employs some of the same methods as Singapore. I'm not as concerned with Thing 1's ability to catch up on something he missed. What I'm really worried about is the whole "Singapore Method" thing. Am I doing him a disservice by introducing Singapore in 4A rather than 3A? Honestly, the sample pages in 3A&B seemed very similar to what he's already done, although his measurement section wasn't that strenuous. On the other hand, the placement test for 3 seemed much more difficult to me.

Basically, the sample pages look like 4A is the way to go, but there aren't many of them. I think I'm also made nervous by the number of posts about how hard it was to move to Singapore. The posts I see (and the placement test) make me a bit nervous about the starting with 4A, but then I look at the sample pages and feel totally unfazed.

Any input?

Thanks,

Pamela

If you can afford it, I'd get the 3a/3b books and go through them anyway, perhaps combining lessons together to accelerate through. But... what I've found is that it's easier to start lower and move faster through material than it is to start higher, realize you missed something and then regret not having started at the "lower" level. Plus, with SM, you can add in the CWP and IP to make it more challenging.

My daughter switched to SM this summer and I am having her work through the 3b book, even though much of it is review and she technically passed the 4b placement exam and could be in 5a. But... the measurement in the 3b book is very thorough and good (we did it all mentally which is a great exercise too), and there has been some new stuff (simplifying fractions, for instance).