Menu

SWR or horizon phonics

kfrench

I'm trying to figure out what I want to use with him before I get started as I don't want to be changing curriculums like I did with his big sisters. They both had problems learning to read and I really want to start with something that will work hopefully. I am considering Horizons or Little hands towards heaven. I have no idea how to use SWR to actually teach someone to read and I always feel a little lost and scattered when I use SWR. I really would like something that will tell me each step although I know I can slow it down if he needs it. I am hoping he will be like his brother and be able to read anything by 6 years old but going for worse case senario he could be like my daughters and struggle in 2nd and 3rd and beyond with spelling and reading. I am also looking at All about Spelling which is simular to SWR but I would also like something with activities and colors etc as he loves worksheets and just flies through them. He's 3 1/2 but he is a quick little guy. I really am not looking forward to teaching a kid to read again as it was such a struggle for my girls. For my son he just took it all in and there he was reading. So not sure which direction I should take with the last one. He is alot like his big brother but who knows if he will be that advanced or not. It's kind of odd having one kid that has skipped grades and takes all advanced classes and then have one that was held back a grade and another one that is struggling but in totally different ways. I'm just trying to do a better "more consistant" job of it with my last little one.

I love SWR, but don't use it alone. I still have my dc read through A Beka's Handbook for Reading, use A Beka's Writing W Phonics, and play around w/ lots of phonetically-controlled readers [A Beka, MCP, others]. I just do some phono card work [like math drill] each day and we collect words for charts instead of keeping a SWR notebook.

i don't like A Beka's *phonics* wkbk, but I do like MCP's. Feel free to find a fun phonics wkbk and supplement w/ SWR cards for a stronger foundation. good luck!

edited to add: I have NOT used Horizons phonics.

Have you seen my Quick & Dirty Guide to Getting Started with SWR? http://www.lulu.com/content/364293

I taught my dd to read using just SWR. You spell through the words and have him read them back. If he's not ready to write, which a 3 yo isn't, you can use letter tiles, write at the board, whatever. I got letter tiles at Walmart or you could make a magnetic set with the computer and magnet paper.

It works just fine to teach a dc to read just using SWR. You spend most of the time practicing the words, not so much emphasizing the spelling. Then, when you go through the lists the next year, you'll reall nail the spelling. First time through, you spell the words, read the words, then practice reading the words. If you're not of a mind to do it that way or don't feel it fits your dc, do it another way. Everybody has their own preference. About the only thing I wouldn't do is jump from say a word family approach (BJU, whatever) to a front-end/ladder approach (Abeka) and back and forth, as that would be very confusing. But if you memorize the SWR phonograms while using one, consistent approach, that would definitely be an option.

Who knows why your dd's struggled... You may have been pregnant with the next and tired. Not every dc is a prolific reader. Sounds like this ds is going to be just fine, so plow forward with confidence. At this age, you're really talking about take it or leave it with reading.

I love SWR.

I've not seen or used Horizons and I don't know what kind of an approach it is, so I can't compare them for you. But I can tell you about our experience.

I brought ds home at the end of Grade one. He was nearly eight and, as he had been in a french immersion school, had not yet learned to read.

We started with Alphaphonics and flew through about 3/4's of it. But I noticed a strange thing: he could "read the words" in the book, and he could handle easy readers, but nothing else was happening. And his spelling was atrocious.

So, I started SWR as a spelling program last year and folded my non-reading five year old into it. She learned to read at an astonishing rate. For reading practice, I had her read from McGuffey's eclectic primer. (revised, 1920 edition). And she's still going at it at seven, reading those "read-aloud" picture books to me at bedtime. I help her with the occasional word, but she's doing really well. I had her pick up the "second eclectic" reader today (after skipping the "first" for the last six months:() and she didn't have any problems whatsoever.

We drilled the phonograms a lot, last year, too with bingo cards I made on-line. Then any new words could be sounded out with the phonograms fairly easily.

FYI: The lessons are planned in the back of Spell to Write and Read.

HTH.