Menu

What math might fit DS best?

I may have that acronym wrong. It gets discussed on the accelerated board all the time. It's some sort of computer-driven, interactive math for bright kids. Might be just the thing, and there is scholarship money available.

If you go with a regular text, let him either write in it (they're cheap used these days) or use a whiteboard. He's about old enough to be copying problems anyway. It might not be as bad as you think now that he's done the VT.

http://epgy.stanford.edu/openenroll/index.html $45 for every 3 months through the individual open enrollment at this site. i believe the group open enrollment might be around $135 for a year. Both of those options are different from the expensive enrollment with access to tutors that requires testing for admission.

We have used EPGY. it's fun but for us i prefer a more traditional program on paper. Also it did not have enough review for my dc (though one could add that on paper easily i imagine). One advantage of EPGY is that it presents one problem at a time - less distraction. What i haven't seen is a scope and sequence for it - i'd really want that if i were using it as my main curriculum - i've long wondered whether that was hidden someplace else on the site (note: navigating the site from the other side - the expensive version - does not always lead you to the individual open enrollment part - you need the above linc)

What grade level would he need for math? (i'm not familiar with the MUS levels)

ETA: EPGY has two different settings for the pace - regular and gifted. My understanding is that the individual open enrollment is on the regular setting but that there is more flexibility with the group open enrollment setting.

Edited by wapiti

By the way i think this is the scope and sequence for EPGY math but i wish there were something more akin to a TOC - more detailed. You never know what topic is coming up next.

Also somewhere along the way i recently read that Frank Suppes - author of a book on mathematical logic that i recently ordered - was/is very involved with EPGY and accordingly there's lots of learning about sets starting in the early grades.

ETA: i never saw this before but at the above site if you click on Grade _ Lessons you find what i was looking for - e.g. http://epgy.stanford.edu/courses/math/M0WC/index.html?grade5.html cool :)

Edited by wapiti