Menu

My ds will be in 9th grade next year. He started Apologia Biology this year, and we're going to just continue it after a little bit of a summer break.

Once he finishes that, I'd like to continue on with human biology/a & p. I'm not wanting to go to the higher level Apologia, so am wondering if anyone knows what else is available that would just be more of an A & P course, and not have to take a whole year?

Thankyou!

Any higher level A&P course is going to have a chem requirement. Now some kids may not need it if they've had enough experience otherwise, but genearlly speaking, it's hard to do the bio-chemistry in the body without having chemistry in the first place.

You might try Body By Design. That could be done in less than a year easily. But I can't tell you, as we didn't actually DO it, what standpoint it comes from other than "creational." If that is important to you (6 day creation, ID, old earth, etc) then you may want to flip through a copy at Borders if you can.

Any higher level A&P course is going to have a chem requirement. Now some kids may not need it if they've had enough experience otherwise, but genearlly speaking, it's hard to do the bio-chemistry in the body without having chemistry in the first place.

You might try Body By Design. That could be done in less than a year easily. But I can't tell you, as we didn't actually DO it, what standpoint it comes from other than "creational." If that is important to you (6 day creation, ID, old earth, etc) then you may want to flip through a copy at Borders if you can.

Thankyou! :D

by Apologia cover anatomy & physiology? You might check out their website, and also their scope & sequence first, because they might recommend some chemistry first.

Is your purpose to take the AP Biology exam? If so, there are several on these boards, I believe, who have had their kids take that test. Apologia might not cover everything you'd need to have covered, in terms of evolution (not saying that you have to agree with evolution; just have your student familiar with the discussions and arguments). Although, there is anecdotal evidence that some have done Apologia's Biology and Advanced Biology for the AP exam and have done just fine.

by Apologia cover anatomy & physiology? You might check out their website, and also their scope & sequence first, because they might recommend some chemistry first.

Is your purpose to take the AP Biology exam? If so, there are several on these boards, I believe, who have had their kids take that test. Apologia might not cover everything you'd need to have covered, in terms of evolution (not saying that you have to agree with evolution; just have your student familiar with the discussions and arguments). Although, there is anecdotal evidence that some have done Apologia's Biology and Advanced Biology for the AP exam and have done just fine.

No, he doesn't want to take that test. I was just thinking of something to fill out the rest of his 9th grade year. He's done Apol. Bio. through Module 9 this year, in 8th., so I thought he could finish up this book and do some studying of the human body to complete Biology and the year and be done. He said he does NOT want to do Biology again!

Questions: Is Apologia Biology enough Biology to count as good enough for the Highschool Biology credit? If so, when he finishes he could just start in on chemistry maybe? And since he's done some of it this year, can I count it on his 9th grade transcript?

Brindee, as homeschoolers we can do just about anything we want, however....

It is my opinion that part of being "a highschool credit" is doing it in a high school type time period (or faster). So doing Apologia Biology over two years, without supplementation, imo, would not be high school biology. At VERY least, supplement with an A&P program to round out 9th grade to count it as "High School Biology."

I don't mean to offend, so I hope that this is taken in the light I mean it. Part of the good thing about homeschooling is we CAN take longer if necessary. And if you do the great majority of your classes in a semester or two time period (depending on the class), then one or two that are off won't be that big of a deal. I've just seen many homeschoolers who seem to drag EVERYTHING out and that seems to be problematic to me as the real world and college are going to have much firmer deadlines.

Hope this makes sense. Again, you CAN do anything you wish. It's probably just wise to be mindful of such things in general. But one class isn't gonna make or break your kiddo :)

Questions: Is Apologia Biology enough Biology to count as good enough for the Highschool Biology credit? If so, when he finishes he could just start in on chemistry maybe? And since he's done some of it this year, can I count it on his 9th grade transcript?

There are many who don't believe Apologia is enough and tend to use BJU or other sources. I found it to be plenty, though. Yes, he could definitely start in on chemistry after biology. There is a lot of memorization in the biology course.

I'm probably going to be enrolling my girls next year in a private school 30 minutes from where we live. So far the guidance counselor has not questioned any of my credits and she counted Henle I Latin as two years of high school Latin, even though it took three years to complete. So, I don't think you'll have trouble. It sounds like you started it in 8th grade, perhaps, and want to finish up for 9th grade.

However, if you're wanting to cover anatomy and physiology, Apologia's Biology course does not cover that. The Advanced Biology course does. In Apologia's sequence some basic A&P is covered in the 7th grade General Science book. BJUP's Biology is supposed to cover anatomy and physiology, though.

So---now you probably feel like you're back where you started, because I thought you said that you wanted to cover mostly anatomy and physiology. I guess I would check out BJUP's book to see what they cover. Some people would rather have biology cover everything the first year, like BJUP does (although I don't know how in depth the anatomy and physiology is there). I actually prefer it as a separate course because there is so much to cover. I took a semester-long summer school course and another semester course of A&P, and we read and memorized almost all of an over 800-page book that summer. It was one of the most intense classes I ever had in college, but also one of the most interesting. Of course, that was college level, not high school level. Still, I'm glad it was a separate course. FWIW, the biology class I had at college also covered very little anatomy and physiology. It covered evolution, cell structures, the kingdoms (although much of this knowledge was assumed in high school) and quite a bit of cellular biology.

HTH!

I just want to clarify that I DO believe that Apologia Biology can be a high school credit, even if done in 8th grade. My concern was taking so long to do it. And I do believe PART of a high school credit being counted as such is to finish it within a year (preferably 8-9 mo or less).

Just wanted to clarify that it wasn't that the course didn't have A&P that I was concerned about giving credit for it. It was taking 3+ semesters to do it that was a concern for me.

hopefully that was MORE clear. Of course, someone could still disagree with me :) THAT would be just fine also.

I appreciate all your help! He finished Physical Science early, so we just started with Biology. If he finished what he has left in Biology within the first few months of next school year, then it WOULD be finished in that 8-9 month time-frame so as to count for Highschool credit.

It was mainly me thinking that led me to ask the question. Sometimes I just need to not THINK so much! :D I thought it might be interesting to have some of the A&P under his belt, and since he WOULD finish the Apologia Biology early next year, I was hoping to find something to spread the Biology to the end of the year, then start on Chemistry the next year so we can be more in tune with the schoolyear, instead of continuing to straddle part of one year and part of the next.

Does that make what I was saying/asking any clearer?

So, now I am thinking maybe I should just go with the Chemistry as soon as he's done with the Biology, and finish IT up in as timely a manner as possible so as to be done in time to start something else at the beginning of his 10th grade year!

Oh, okay...sorry Brindee that I misunderstood....

You probably could do it either way. How is that for no help :) Whichever you decide would be fine, I'm sure.

Thanks! I'd give you rep for your help if I wasn't all out! :D Actually, I really do appreciate it!

Today I saw the one thread where the lady made curriculum up for her kids---on The Human Body! Awesome! So I got ideas looking at her site! That was good timing!

I'll really try to rep you tomorrow, cuz I appreciate the time you took to help!