Menu

Oak Meadow & Montessori

freeindeed

As I've mentioned before, I'm using a Montessori style teaching method for my youngest child (she's 3 right now.) She is visually impaired & has developmental delays, and I'm thinking Oak Meadow might be a good fit for her. I use Sonlight with my older children, but I'm not sure it's going to be a good fit for my little one based on her needs. So, is Oak Meadow comparable to Montessori? Thanks.

I think it could work for you. It is Waldorfy, but not true Waldorf. The owners started out that way and over the years it has sort of melded with mainstream a bit. I have fallen in love with it for my kids, so I am biased.

There are older versions, which you can find used. They are more waldorfy and much less expensive. the curriculum is easy to add, too. So, you can use it as a base and still have time for some Montessoir things or doctors appointments/therapies.

It encourages appreciation of beauty, nature, handcrafts. You work in main lesson books for the younger years. So, there is not a lot of scheduled reading and no worksheets.

If you are feeling drawn to Waldorf I have two other suggestions for you.

One is for A Little Garden Flower which much closer to true Waldorf.

I have another but I need to find the link.

If you want to see more of what OMK is like, I have a post on my blog here showing what a sample week was like, with some pics, etc:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/125979.html

I also have a detailed review of Oak Meadow:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/124071.html

Hope this helps! :)

Thank you for writing such a thoughtful review. I'm more of a Montessori type person myself, but I always find it fascinating to hear about families on the Waldorf journey.

Thank you for writing such a thoughtful review. I'm more of a Montessori type person myself, but I always find it fascinating to hear about families on the Waldorf journey.

Thanks for the checking out the review and your comment here. :) It's funny, I guess Montessori and Waldorf are two such different things but I like both of them lol. My kids just went to a Montessori summer day camp for two weeks recently (and will be going for one more week in August) and I thought that was great. I also think Oak Meadow (which is NOT true Waldorf, but Waldorf-inspired, particularly in the early years) is great. I think the main thing is just that it's not like public school, either way you go- it's a lot more creative, interesting, and fun. I'm a fan of creative, interesting and fun. :)

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I like both Waldorf & Montessori styles, as well as Charlotte Mason, so I think I need to take some time to just sit down & write out a plan that pulls in the aspects of all these that I like.

Now if I can just make myself do it!:tongue_smilie:

In 2004, I used the Oak Meadow kindergarten syllabus and combined it with sandpaper letters and the moveable alphabet to reinforce the letters. It is expensive because Oak Meadow's syllabus is very expensive and of course Montessori materials are very expensive too. The imaginative stories were helpful, but to be honest, I am more of a Montessori type. I am not good at crafts and don't really like doing them. Sometimes the story was too contrived so I subsituted another story. It got to the point that I could have bought another Waldorf resource for less money and found my own sources of math rhymes and letter stories. So if you are not crafty, don't get Oak Meadow. If you are not into fairy tales, don't get Oak Meadow. If you are trying to add an imaginative element to your child's schooling, Oak Meadow may be for you. If you are not sure, then I would try to get the syllabus second hand first.

In 2004, I used the Oak Meadow kindergarten syllabus and combined it with sandpaper letters and the moveable alphabet to reinforce the letters. It is expensive because Oak Meadow's syllabus is very expensive and of course Montessori materials are very expensive too. The imaginative stories were helpful, but to be honest, I am more of a Montessori type. I am not good at crafts and don't really like doing them. Sometimes the story was too contrived so I subsituted another story. It got to the point that I could have bought another Waldorf resource for less money and found my own sources of math rhymes and letter stories. So if you are not crafty, don't get Oak Meadow. If you are not into fairy tales, don't get Oak Meadow. If you are trying to add an imaginative element to your child's schooling, Oak Meadow may be for you. If you are not sure, then I would try to get the syllabus second hand first.

Thank you for the advice.