Menu

Kitchen science curriculum?

My dd11 loves to bake and would be so happy if I would just hand off all our baking to her. I'm a little nervous about letting her do anything completely by herself. I was thinking though that it would be great if there was a curriculum that taught her not only how to bake, but how ingredients in baking work together. I don't know if that makes sense? Any suggestions?

You could start with the classic: chocolate chip cookies! Baking 911 talks a little about the chemistry behind what makes cookies puffy or flat, and gives recipes for chewy, puffy, and thin chocolate chip cookies. The site also has some other baking science your daughter should be able to sink her teeth into. (What a horrible pun, it wasn't intentional, I'm sorry!)

Otherwise, this page of links from Penn State seems like a useful resource to explore.

My dd11 loves to bake and would be so happy if I would just hand off all our baking to her. I'm a little nervous about letting her do anything completely by herself. I was thinking though that it would be great if there was a curriculum that taught her not only how to bake, but how ingredients in baking work together. I don't know if that makes sense? Any suggestions?

You might see if you can find Messing Around with Baking Chemistry by Zubrowski

http://www.amazon.com/Messing-Around-Chemistry-Childrens-Activity/dp/0316988790/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311299077&sr=8-1

But this won't really teach her many recipes.

Marion Cunningham's Cooking with Children and the Williams Sonoma Baking Book are both quite well done and age appropriate, with good quality items (not melted chocolate + marshmallows + sprinkles + whatever).

I was reading about this on another post, and lots of people seemed to recommend some of Alton Brown's books or even his tv show, which I've never seen?

Totally agree with using Alton Brown. Cooking, science, history, he's got it all. The show is called Good Eats, and it airs on Food Network; most of the episodes are available on YouTube.

Here is a link to the Episode Index to Good Eats, with show topics and links to the YouTube episodes:

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/gefp/EpisodeByOrder.htm