Menu

No period, but 3 negative pregnancy tests, and one positive..

I have not had a period since June 8th, I am on nuvaring, but there was a 2 week period last month when I ddnt have it in.

I have taken 3 home pregnancy tests..first was negative, and then I took one the next day, got a vague positive line. So then I went to the doc, got a blood test, and it was negative. That was a week ago. Still have not started..and took another home test that was negative..but still no period.

I have NEVER missed a period, exept during pregnancy..Could it be from this darn BC??

Was the doctor's test quantitative or qualitative for HCG? If it was qualitative you may have just not had your hcg climb high enough for the lab to call it positive.

I'd retest with first morning urine if you can tomorrow.

Here's my weird story. I have PCOS and long cycles. We went through IF txs to have my oldest son. I got a surprise faint positive w/ my pregnancy with my DD. Tested the next morning with the same brand (First Response Early Response) and it was negative. Took a different brand's test, and it was also negative. I assumed it was a chemical pg and figured I'd start bleeding within a few days.

That didn't happen, so I retested and had a very positive result. I then took a quantitative blood test and it was veeeeerrrrry positive at that point.

I have no idea why I tested + and then negative. Early loss of a twin and my DD hadn't implanted yet? The same brand of test had varying sensitivities (I believe this is possible?). FRER definitely has a low threshold for testing positive.

If you don't know if your blood test was quant or qualitative, I'd start there.

Oh, and was the first test (the positive) read in the prescribed time frame? Some people get "ghost" lines and so forth after the 10 mins are up or whatever. If you read it within the time frame listed, I'd consider it a real positive. If you fished it out of the trash 15 mins after doing the test, I'd assume it was a ghost line. Did you use the same brand each time? Some detect lower amounts of hcg, and some won't come up positive until you are over a level of 50, for example.

I don't think bc would impact your hcg levels.

Is the website peeonastick.com still around? That site was filled w/ more info than you would ever want to know!

I have not had a period since June 8th, I am on nuvaring, but there was a 2 week period last month when I ddnt have it in.

I have taken 3 home pregnancy tests..first was negative, and then I took one the next day, got a vague positive line. So then I went to the doc, got a blood test, and it was negative. That was a week ago. Still have not started..and took another home test that was negative..but still no period.

I have NEVER missed a period, exept during pregnancy..Could it be from this darn BC??

If you got a slight + last week and neg this week, most likely a chemical pgc (conception but failed implantation). It happens in nearly half of conceptions and isn't considered medically a "miscarriage" since you weren't clinically pregnant (defined as 5 weeks). Your period won't start until your hcg=0, which can take 1-2 weeks and may be a bit heavier than usual (since built up lining longer than usual).

If you haven't had your af in another week, ask your Dr to do a quantitative pgc test, which will tell them how much hcg and not just whether it is over 100 (many OTC pgc tests are now more sensitive than the qualitative tests the Drs use).