Menu

Chalkdust Algebra ?

Ds is currently struggling (drowning) in Chapter 4.

He has made B's on his tests up to this point-due to careless mistakes, not because he doesn't know what he's doing- but Ch. 4 is just kicking his behind.

I have looked at the TOC for other algebra books and they don't cover graphs until near the end, so I'm wondering if I could just come back to it...or should we hire a tutor?

He has watched the videos several times, his dad his gone over it, I've gone over it, and still he gets those darn graphs wrong!

They tend to be opposite of where they should be.

I've emailed Mr. Mosely for advice, but wondering if anyone has input, or at least thanks for letting me vent.

Frustrating morning here:(

My dd scored 63% on the chapter test after struggling with much of the chapter. We did all the problems and corrected all the ones she missed. We watch the chapter video two times but that didn't seem to help. I finally pulled Book 8 of Key to Algebra and she worked through all of that. She did better but I still think it will be a chapter I will revisit when we are done with the book. I do have another Algebra I book on hand and noticed it covered the same chapter much later. She is an older 8th grader (didn't start school until 6) but I'm seriously considering doing Algebra I again next year. I don't know if that would be an option with you. I have been told that a firm grasp of Algebra I is essential for success in later courses. Have a great homeschooling day.

Oh May,

I'm sorry to hear your dd struggled also, but I'm so glad to hear it's not just us!

Mr. Mosely responded to my email and I'm just waiting for ds to get over his awful cold (which I believe came on as soon as he heard Mr. Mosely wanted to talk to him) and then I'm going to scan some of ds's work and have them discuss what the problem is.

I was ready to throw in the towel on this text, but dh was adamant we not do that and fortunately Mr. Mosely is willing to make himself available to help.

Chapter 4 was a huge problem for my daughter too, especially the last half of the chapter. I had her work through some of the Key to Algebra graphing problems, but we just moved on and she did fine (average 95%) for the rest of the book. Factoring, quadratic equations, nothing caused the despair that graphing lines did. I did not understand it. I'd love to hear what Mr. Mosely says.

Carolyn