Menu

Teaching Textbooks and dyslexia

AimeeM

For those with experience using Teaching Textbooks, are they a good choice for a severe dyslexic? We were recently informed that Autumn's auditory processing ability is several years below where it should be for her age, and that her dyslexia is actually a product of that (instead of vice versa). Her reading is coming along beautifully since being pulled from traditional school, but her math is... quite horrible. We are currently using Saxon and it has become a battle of wills that generally ends in tears (on both ends).

Love the look of TT (and so does my daughter); but will it WORK?

*ps, we are remediating this year in math. She is technically entering fifth grade, but we are knocking back a grade in math*

For my dyslexic, he does like Teaching Textbooks but we couldn't use it as him main math program. It just moves too fast for him. It's a great way for him to do review though. We've finally settled on CLE math for him and its working very well. RightStart also worked fairly well for him until Level D and then it just wasn't quite sinking in.

Good luck,

I don't know TT, except for what I've read about it here. I'd want to know how much TT instruction is auditory and/or language-based, as opposed to visual.

This is an over-generalization, but I tend to think of Saxon as tending to be a better fit for more traditional learners, e.g., left-brained, auditory-sequential learners, while other programs are better suited for right-brained, visual-spatial learners. Dyslexics tend to be in the latter group. So, switching would seem to make sense. You might consider a more conceptual math program (such as Singapore or MM or _____; there are others but they escape me at the moment). My understanding is that TT would not fall into the conceptual category.

my severely dyslexic is THRIVING on Teaching textbooks!

I found their placement test to be very accurate.

I asked my now 11.5 year old son any advice for your child, and he said TT is GREAT! LOL

His only frustration is sometimes he transposes numbers and it's counted wrong. For example, the answer is 23. He knows it's 23. his work shows the answer is 23. But he types in 32.

No biggie-- he shows me, I correct it (parent section of TT) and we move on.

(This is the severely dyslexic kid that was reading a preschool level in 3rd grade, and is now a grade ahead on math)

edited to add-- my son started with Singapore and HATED it. It was a huge struggle with lots of tears. Not a single tear since switching to TT!

Edited by joyfulheart

Thanks ladies. We plan to remediate and use a fourth grade level of whatever math we do choose. She loves the look of TT, but I have every intention of buying USED so that we aren't out much if we need to switch... again.

Ah well. I suppose I might wait another week or so to choose since you have all managed to give me more choices! Lol.

Thanks ladies. We plan to remediate and use a fourth grade level of whatever math we do choose. She loves the look of TT, but I have every intention of buying USED so that we aren't out much if we need to switch... again.

Ah well. I suppose I might wait another week or so to choose since you have all managed to give me more choices! Lol.

I'd have her do the placement tests. There has been controversy about whether TT's labeled levels are off, and it seems a lot of people use a level ahead. For example, there is a post on the board today where the student had completed TT4 but apparently TT4 did not have sufficient instruction on long division and multi-digit multiplication, which are typical fourth grade topics in most other curricula (I might have mis-read, but that was the gist I got).

My dyslexic dd is using MUS and TT at the same time. She does one page of MUS and one lesson of TT a day. I like the combination b/c MUS teaches to mastery but TT has so much review, which she really needs, much more than the average kid. So far it's working beautifully!

She was unable to pass the fifth grade placement test - so she is pretty far behind.

I'd have her do the placement tests. There has been controversy about whether TT's labeled levels are off, and it seems a lot of people use a level ahead. For example, there is a post on the board today where the student had completed TT4 but apparently TT4 did not have sufficient instruction on long division and multi-digit multiplication, which are typical fourth grade topics in most other curricula (I might have mis-read, but that was the gist I got).