Menu

Is CLE Math 100 less teacher intensive than Saxon 1?

Tenaj

We used CLE math many years ago. While CLE quickly moves to being independent, it requires a teacher to be present at the first grade level.

IMHO, any math should require someone to be present at the first grade level. CLE does have flash cards and speed drills, which should be done with a teacher. Also, at the first grade level, students don't normally read well enough or have enough maturity or experience to do things on their own.

When we did CLE 100 level, we used manipulatives first before most lessons. Just get out some beans or pennies or whatever to show what you mean by 4 + 5 = 9. Most children that age need the physical representation to really understand the concept.

However, we did CLE 100 when my dd was 5. She was ready at that point. An older child who has exerience and maturity might be different.

Anyway, CLE does move to becoming more independent. But I think you should plan on being with your child for first grade regardless of which program you use. Or, if you are too busy, someone else, such as an older sibling could also help your first grader.

We used CLE math many years ago. While CLE quickly moves to being independent, it requires a teacher to be present at the first grade level.

IMHO, any math should require someone to be present at the first grade level. CLE does have flash cards and speed drills, which should be done with a teacher. Also, at the first grade level, students don't normally read well enough or have enough maturity or experience to do things on their own.

When we did CLE 100 level, we used manipulatives first before most lessons. Just get out some beans or pennies or whatever to show what you mean by 4 + 5 = 9. Most children that age need the physical representation to really understand the concept.

However, we did CLE 100 when my dd was 5. She was ready at that point. An older child who has exerience and maturity might be different.

Anyway, CLE does move to becoming more independent. But I think you should plan on being with your child for first grade regardless of which program you use. Or, if you are too busy, someone else, such as an older sibling could also help your first grader.

:iagree:There is still teaching involved with CLE 100, but just not as much as Saxon.

I wasn't expecting completely independent work at all. I know that first grade math is hands-on. He can't even read directions yet. Saxon is VERY teacher intensive at the first grade level - I've been through it two times - and it's not unusual for it to take 30 minutes at least just to get to the point of sitting down to do the worksheet.

I'm happy to consider something that may not be quite that intensive on my time. I'm thinking, from what I've seen of CLE samples, that you can get them going for a few minutes on their own - to say change a diaper - without everything having to stop until your return.

Thanks for your response.

:iagree:There is still teaching involved with CLE 100, but just not as much as Saxon.

That's what I was hoping to hear. I really, really like Saxon, but am completely burned out after doing k and 3 last year as well as helping my math- hating son with 5/4. I'm just dreading the thought of jumping back into Saxon 1.

Decisions, Decisions.

From someone who has used Saxon 1 and is using CLE 100 , yes absolutely less time.

I'm using the 100 level with my 4 yr old and it takes much less time to teach it. We go over the lesson in the manual, do the flashcards, work on base ten blocks making numbers and work on the work together and she does the rest of her lesson under the We Remember section by herself.

The Saxon 1 worked with the Meeting book first, then you did the lesson, then you worked together on a full worksheet, then required your child to do the back. It takes less time and is less work.

I like Saxon but its way to teacher intensive with me having four children this year. CLE has cut down the time tremendously, and has been exactly what I was looking for. If I can do it with my 4 yr old anyone can use it.