Menu

How do you pass time with emerging readers?

I hate listening to my first graders pick out words. It is SOOOOO agonizing. Yes dear, c-a-t is still spelled cat, just like the last 30 times you sounded it out (honestly I don't say this but I think it. To my kids I am very encouraging and patient) However to keep my patience, I have to do something with my hands while I am listening.

With my last child, I began drawing. Got quite a bit of practice while listening to her too!

I have another first grader this year. Guess I'm going to get more drawing practice in!!!

I feel your pain! I sat for nearly and hour last night, listening to my 7yo read a book. She was determined to finish it. She's on level 2 readers so not as bad as she was a few months ago but it was tiring. I finally started saying, "That word is the same one you read on the last page." That helped a little. I just keep trying to remember what a joy it is to know that I'm the one teaching her and I get to be a part of this wonderful milestone. ;) I still walked away feeling exhausted and over-stimulated. :lol: