Menu

Omnibus or CC Challenge I

Has anyone done Omnibus through Veritas Press Scholars Academy? I am trying to decide whether to proceed with CC or to go with on-line classes for my 8th grader who will be working at 9th grade level in CC. (I have done CC mainly for social and classroom experience for 2 years with ds, which I hate to give up, but not sure that one day a week is enough teaching for upper level/high school classes).

IF you're thinking just work, I'd do Omni. Are you ok with Ancients, first? I think I would be, but that's the only thing that would be a pause for me. I believe that it's the Teacher that makes the difference, and VP has trained people.... really trained. CC varies greatly, and the training they receive is different depending on where they are, and not the same intensity as you will find in most if not all, of VP's.

I think I'd be all right doing ancients first, but not sure what all it requires. I know the Challenge I teacher is good, but I am just concerned about the structure of only 1 class time per week. I have signed him up for 2 VP classes already (Latin and Math), because I agree about the highly trained teachers and these are 2 important subjects (and CC says they are not the teacher, you are and I can really only do so much, kwim?). Just not sure if Omnibus is too much work. Do you know anything about the content and requirements of it?

You can do both.

CC offers flexibility and the classroom dynamic. Two classes through VP are doable with CC -just depends on the student.

Contact VP - they are available to answer any questions. Go on-line to "experience a class" and "view" the Omnibus class.

Ask someone to give you an idea about the syllabus/ work quantity/ how grades are assessed and examples of some assignments that might be given.

Go to the source and ask them to lay it out for you.

There are people who have successfully done both CC and VP.

You create what you want for your student. Each CC campus is different. Each VP Omnibus teacher is different.

What is your goal?

Look over the Omnibus readings. Will your student do primary/ secondary or both?

I have signed him up for 2 VP classes already (Latin and Math), because I agree about the highly trained teachers and these are 2 important subjects (and CC says they are not the teacher, you are and I can really only do so much, kwim?). Just not sure if Omnibus is too much work. Do you know anything about the content and requirements of it?

Then, for sure don't have him do the Latin or Math @ CC if they'll let you drop. I would not have him do it with CC even if you have to pay.

We're doing Challenge I and VSPA Latin this year, but I'm thinking that we may go with mostly VSPA the following year instead of Challenge II. We're paying for math and Latin at Challenge I that are below level, and the art history part of Challenge II is not a priority for us.

A lot depends on what you want them to study, and be sure to also consider what you want graded. CC has you responsible for the grading in most of the work, VSPA takes more responsibility to the point that you can get a diploma from them. If you've done fine with Challenge A and B, Omnibus will go well.

Then, for sure don't have him do the Latin or Math @ CC if they'll let you drop. I would not have him do it with CC even if you have to pay.

The new policy is that you have to pay for all 6 classes. Would just sitting in on the classes be o.k. - or too much?

You can do both.

CC offers flexibility and the classroom dynamic. Two classes through VP are doable with CC -just depends on the student.

Contact VP - they are available to answer any questions. Go on-line to "experience a class" and "view" the Omnibus class.

Ask someone to give you an idea about the syllabus/ work quantity/ how grades are assessed and examples of some assignments that might be given.

Go to the source and ask them to lay it out for you.

There are people who have successfully done both CC and VP.

You create what you want for your student. Each CC campus is different. Each VP Omnibus teacher is different.

What is your goal?

Look over the Omnibus readings. Will your student do primary/ secondary or both?

What is the difference between primary and secondary, and what are the advantages of doing both?

What I really like about CC is the classroom time and relationships he gets, but I think I like the academics better at VPSA. However, if I want him to be on the honors diploma program, I can't really dilly dally. As it is, I think it's too late for highest honors track and he's only 8th grade. Still trying to figure it out and make a decision.

My Challenge I student will sit in on the Latin and math even though they're below level, and then he'll do Latin with VSPA and math with me.

With Veritas, you can take just Primary Omnibus I if you like, but you get three credits (Ancient History, Ancient Lit, Theology I) if you take Primary Omnibus I and Secondary Omnibus II. They really go together, but they do different sessions online to break it up and because different teachers have different strengths.

The diploma program is a nice benefit, but I wouldn't let that hold you back from doing what is best for your student. Logistically and academically I'm happy with what we're doing for 2011-2012 with a mix. We've been involved in CC for quite awhile, but I'm obviously doing some rethinking myself.