Menu

AAS1 Question

lorisuewho

I am just starting All About Spelling 1. I went through the initial cards with my son to see which letter sounds he has mastered and what needs more practice.

He knows all the letters and their sounds, except for some of the vowels. He knows the long and the short sound, but not always the other sounds. How important is it for him to master every possible sound of each vowel before moving on in the lessons?

Thank you.

My son was in the same boat. He still hasn't completely mastered all of the vowel sounds, but we do review before each lesson. We are on Step 2 now and almost done with that. I will keep reviewing every lesson until he gets them all. The other day I heard him in the other room saying all three "I" sounds. Adorable! :D

As soon as my son knew the short and long sound of the vowels we started moving ahead. They don't need to know the other sounds to spell any of the words in level 1. By the time we were halfway through my son knew all the sounds for each vowel since we reviewed them everytime we worked on AAS.

There's actually a note at the beginning of the book saying that you can work on the first 3 steps simultaneously. You'll probably only want to work on one vowel at a time, and that doesn't take much time to review each day. If your son knows at least the first sounds for all, you can make it through most of 1, and by then you'll probably have them mastered or at least know the second sounds.

Merry :-)