Menu

Need Red beans and rice recipe

Here's how my daddy taught me to do it.

You need bell pepper, onion, and celery, in equal amounts, diced up and ready to go. Cook them in some butter until they start to smell really good. (Yeah, dad is a highly scientific cook!) Spoon them into your slow cooker and add some seasonings. I use salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. There are some seasoning blends like Tony Chachere's that some people prefer to use. Add your dried kidney beans (no need to pre-soak but you can if that makes you nervous), and twice as much water. Cook them on low all day. About halfway through the cooking time, I would add sliced sausage, but that's up to you. Half an hour before dinner time, cook your rice. While it's cooking, take some of the beans out of the slow cooker and mash them up, then stir them back in. This helps thicken it so it's saucy and creamy over the rice, instead of just beans and water.

As a guide, I would use one bell pepper, one onion, and about three ribs of celery, plus three cups of dried beans, to feed four people. To that I would add six cups of water. I usually cook it about 10 hours.