Menu

Math worksheets: vertical or horizontal

Critterfixer

In preparing extra subtraction worksheets for MM 2A today, I got to wondering about the orientation of the problems. My children are more comfortable with vertical orientation, because the worksheets from Saxon were formulated that way.

And yet, it seems that many of the stock worksheets from MM are presented in horizontal fashion.

Aside from the layout, it seems that there is a purpose to the horizontal format. To me, it may give a better visual of tens, emphasizing place value. Is this the purpose? If not, would it matter what way I oriented problems? Or should I just alternate formats to accustom my children to the different layout?

I always think of horizontal problems as being done mentally. MM will put them on top of each other when they get to addition/subtraction with regrouping. She uses the horizontal for those problems that are meant to be done mentally (like 150 + 20 = ___).

Both are important. Vertical does help with the grouping/carrying and is how multiplying with big numbers is done, BUT as you move into higher grade levels it's the horizontal format that is used for complex equations/simplifying and solving for x. Not sure how old your kids are, but I try to do a mix of both so mine are equally comfortable with both formats since they "mean" the same thing in addition/subtraction at least!

Not sure how old your kids are, but I try to do a mix of both so mine are equally comfortable with both formats since they "mean" the same thing in addition/subtraction at least!

My boys are 7, to be 8 in November. The reason I ask is because they are indeed struggling with the idea of subtraction and addition being reverse operations. They are also somewhat confused on place value, and I have been using horizontal format to show that, because I think that format illustrates place a little better for a beginner.

For whatever reason, horizontal number sentences turn them inside out. I don't know why, other than the fact that they have always done worksheets with vertical problems from Saxon. I wasn't happy with Saxon for a variety of reasons, one of them being that they memorized more than they actually understood.:glare:

I'm thinking that the horizontal format will actually cause them to pause and think about things a little more.

I think they should have both. A most glaring moment for me this week was when I had my neighbor's ds over for this week and he wanted to work on some school with my dd. He goes to PS. He can do problems vertically, but when printed horizontally, about 85% were incorrect. Definitely a skill he needs!