Menu

Home staging question

We have a large deck that spans the entire length of our house. At one end is a screened in porch that is about 12x12 and has a ceiling fan with a light. It is only accessible from the deck. Then there is a 25ish foot span of open deck with a bump out that mirrors the back bay window of our house. We have the grill there and a lounge chair, it is where people stand and chit chat when we entertain At the other end from the porch is one step down and a 10x10 square area backed by a path to the steps leading down to the yard.

That is a long lead in to my staging question - for years we had a table with six chairs and a large umbrella in the 10x10 area and had the screened porch set with a rug, coffee table, chairs and a 2 seat glider. We eat outside often in the summer, and a couple years ago it occured to me that it was more practical to have the table and chairs in the screened in porch where there was a fan, SCREENS and thus less bugs when we were eating. I put the rug and seating furniture outside in the 10x10 area and that has worked well for us.

In your opinion, when we stage the house for sale in the coming weeks should we set the screened in porch as a sitting room or outside dining, or it doesn't matter. The deck is newly refinished and should be a selling feature. I know DH will be ready to reset the furniture in the next few days. He will be irritated if I set it one way now and then ask him to change it in 3 weeks when we put the house on the market. So, hive, what would you do? Does setting the screened in porch as a sitting room or a dining area offer any advantage?

While I like the idea of the screened in dining room, I think showing it as a

sitting room would give buyers the idea that it can be used all throughout the day, not just for meals.

I was a certified stager, BTW. When we moved to Germany, I let my certification lapse. I took loads of courses taught by Barb Schwarz, who is the "inventor" of staging. She's a weird, wacky woman. She's also ridiculously wealthy (she got a big chunk of my money ;)).

Sounds like the table is big. At the very least, can you temporarily swap it for a smaller one that is more compact and seats more than four? That will make your porch appear larger. We stored our big dining table and borrowed a smaller one to stage our recently sold home.

ETA oops, meant to suggest a smaller table that seat NO more than four..

Edited by AuntieM