Menu

Critique my Curriculum Mayhem (long)

This weekend has been complete curriculum mayhem. All of a sudden, (and let’s just say I have been restraining all year long), went into a curriculum attack, a fit. You homeschoolers reading this know exactly what I am talking about. Picture this, my school is out in 4 weeks, (due to the fact that my kids will be traveling and attending a couple of camps for church and sports) it is reality check time and I am the only one to blame if things didn’t get done.

All of a sudden, I was just panic stricken about the school year- what I had finished, what we didn’t finish, which courses were strong, which were weak- should I hire a writing tutor, should we go the AP route for high school? How do you classically study, but fit in all of the required classes and exams. It has been mental mayhem, but I think I have decided- but don’t hold me too it, because I think I could wake up tomorrow and start all over.

At some point, you just have to decide and go with it. But every home-schooling parent probably feels like I do- questioning whether or not they have made the right decision, feelings of self-doubt of whether or not you have “doomed your child’s future” lingers on one of your shoulders, “will they pass the exam’s” lingers on the other shoulder, the fact that “none of it should matter and we should enjoy our children”, but the reality check is out there, the accountability buck stops here.

I have been going back and forth on whether breadth vs. depth is better. I say depth! My husband says breadth! We have been battling it out all weekend. I was the breadth student for the first 25 years of my life, I am the depth student now and so much more appreciative of the deep knowledge I have acquired in some areas of my life.....(I think I will write more on this later in my blog- this just opens up a new arena to discuss.)

So here is what I have narrowed down to date- I have decided to teach in semesters, since I love the college method- Here is where I am at with Hillary and Chase will do a modified list for 5th grade. As you can see, I love the teaching company courses and will use them as much as possible, when they are on sale and affordable.

This is a first semester summer/fall program- do I need more or less?

8th Grade- Hillary

Literature-

(I am still compiling the list based on Hill’s preferences, but this is a start) This list is her audio list! We have yet to decide her reading list-

Continue with Jane Austin (She would like to listen to all of her books throughout the summer

*Sense and Sensibility (finished)

*Pride and Prejudice (finished)

*Don Quixote - is this too much ?

*Shakespeare (Select Plays)

*Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)

*Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)

*The English Novel (Teaching Company) 1/2 off the course

*Life and Writings of Geoffrey Chaucer (Teaching Company) (Part of the Course) Canterbury Tales...not sure how to do this

(I have yet to put together Chase’s list)

Spelling

Sequential Spelling

Writing & Grammar

I think maybe I should use R & S- our grammar is weak. How about IEW leaning that way too!

History- European (From the Renaissance to the Industrial Revolution)

These are some of the spines to work from...

Using a bundle of resources from United Streaming, Netflix, and a text undecided still - an recommendations?

Italian Renaissance- (Teaching Company) Summer/Sept

History of England from the Tudors to the Stuarts (Teaching Company) Fall

Fine Arts

Genius of Michealangelo (Teaching Company) - Summer

Art of the Northern Renaissance (Teaching Company)- Fall

Pottery Studio (Museum of Art Course)- Fall

Music

Harp Lessons

Practice 1-1.5 hours a day

Understanding the Fundamentals of Music (Teaching Company)

Guitar- Chase)

Math

Saxon (Finishing 8/7 about 20 chapters to go) Algebra 1/2

Saxon (6/5- Chase)

Science

Prentice Hall Science Explorer Physical Science

Scott Foresman (Chase)

Foreign Language- Japanese

MIT Open course ware as a guide- (I taught at a CC level and both parents speak, Hillary is highly visual and so Japanese should be a perfect fit for language for her, as it was for me)

The only problem I see with using Rod & Staff for writing (with your 8th grader only), is that the 7th grade grammar is *hard*. I think that's why WTM recommends starting with the 6th grade book. Maybe you should ask for sample pages and see what you think. Many people use R&S below grade level, and grammar-wise that's probably good. My big concern would be that R&S-7 assumes so much prior knowledge, that it might be discouraging for her. But, I don't know what she's done. Her reading is way ahead of my up-and-coming 8th grader, so....ya' know, it might that your "failing grammar" is my "hey, we're doing great!" =)

Also, (IMO) R&S writing isn't really "ahead" of grade level - not nearly like the grammar, anyway. At the beginning of our 7th grade year, I was really discouraged seeing post after post of other 7th graders working on 5-paragraph essays while we were still working on different type of paragraphs. It took looking ahead and seeing what my plan was for high school to calm my fears that I had made the right decision for us.

ETA: You might post asking what people use for writing if they use R&S below grade level? I may be way off base.

There are people who use R&S just for the grammar, but use another writing program. I think if I were using it below grade level, that's what I would opt for as well. (But, if I were going to use another writing program, I would probably choose Abeka or Analytical Grammar.)

I'm not saying you *shouldn't* use R&S. But, I would definitely look at the TOC thoroughly - will it get you where you want to be by such-and-such a time? - and request the sample lessons - will it get you where you want to be without making you feel sick every time "grammar" rolls around? You can see some online at:

http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Rod_and_Staff_Curriculum/

hth,

Rhonda