Menu

Can someone give me a Spelling City 101

Aludlam

We got a new computer this year for the school room, so I'm trying to find fun "school" stuff for us to do on it. I'm not really sure how Spelling City works. Could you give me a brief overview? We are going to use either SWS, AAS or SWO .... yes I know I can't make up my mind! I have all three.

thanks!

• 5 months later...

I learned recently that there are quite a few spelling lists already built in Spelling City. For example, we are working through the Dolch word lists so googled dolch word list spelling city and up it pop's! Someone else has already did all the entering of the words for me! That saves me a ton of time with multiple kids.

You can either use the free version or buy a membership. The main difference is with the paid subscription you can actually track your student's progress. We use SWR and every week we do a new list on Monday in their spelling notebooks. Then, I enter the list into Spellingcity and from Tuesday-Friday they play games to reinforce the words. On Monday they take a test and print out the results. This goes in their notebook also. Every so often I will go back a few weeks at a time and create a review list on Spellingcity. I then have them repeat the same cycle as above with the review list.

My kids LOVE Spelling City. I type their spelling lists in and then they spend 10 minutes per day playing games with their spelling words. The website will even test them (DD loves to do this) and you can print worksheets, too (including handwriting sheets using their words). I have the premium membership mostly so the kids could have access to all the games and activities.

My kids LOVE Spelling City. I type their spelling lists in and then they spend 10 minutes per day playing games with their spelling words. The website will even test them (DD loves to do this) and you can print worksheets, too (including handwriting sheets using their words). I have the premium membership mostly so the kids could have access to all the games and activities.

I just started using this too. I thought it said you can print worksheets with the free membership, but I can't figure out how to do it. Can someone tell me how.

I just started using this too. I thought it said you can print worksheets with the free membership, but I can't figure out how to do it. Can someone tell me how.

Select your spelling list and go to the Play A Game menu. For each game that is printable, there is a small link that says "print" with a picture of a printer at right hand side.