Menu

Teaching my son to read with severe verbal apraxia????

How do I teach him to read when he cant say the correct sound? He wants to learn so that's not a problem. I know take it slow. But how do I teach phonics with incorrect sounds because he can't verbalize the correct sound.

Edited by mom2agang

How do I teach him to read when he cant say the correct sound? He wants to learn so that's not a problem. I know take it slow. But how do I teach phonics with incorrect sounds because he can't verbalize the correct sound.

LiPs (lindamood Bell) saved the day here. In addition my dtr has had speech therapy for over three 1/2 years and part of that time with a therapist who was trained in PROMPT.

I administered LiPs using their home kit.

Edited by VinNY
grammar

LiPs (lindamood Bell) saved the day here. In addition my dtr has had speech therapy for over three 1/2 years and part of that time with a therapist who was trained in PROMPT.

I administered LiPs using their home kit.

:iagree: LiPS at home and a good SLP was the combination that worked for our dd. You can buy the LiPS kit at http://www.ganderpublishing.com. It has a good resale value; not to mention that if you go to a LB clinic, the cost will run about $10k, so the home kit is a good value even if you don't resell it! Of course, if you can afford the clinic, a trained therapist will make faster progress. But you can do it at home successfully, too.

You might do a search for OhElizabeth's posts about PROMPT therapy.