Menu

IEW Practium Assignment by a Mom

Will anyone who's familiar with IEW review my practicum on summarizing the Chinese fable about the bat and the nightingale? I'm going through TWSS this summer and would love some input. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Evening Harmony

By, Amy

Yao the bat, who loved to sleep hanging upside down, stretched his wings after the long day’s rest. He flew from the tree into the night air in search of his favorite dinner, tasty mosquitoes, because he had woken ravenously hungry. In a sense of satisfaction, he remarked to himself that it was especially warm this evening on the banks of the tranquil River Li. Perched in a tree that hung slightly over the riverbank, the voice of a nighting gale named Chin filled the evening air. Singing lovely, soft melodies, she witnessed Yao murderously catch a buzzing mosquito and gobble it down. She gasped. While she was glad to have the interruption of the buzzing stopped, she was appalled that the bat would waste his time catching mosquitoes. Unfortunately, she was sure he could be doing something much more lovely and beneficial as her own singing, although not quite sure just what that would be.

“Since you are only eating mosquitoes, why not find something useful to do,” Chin inquired of Yao. “Happily I sing for the Emperor who comes each evening to rest by the river. He surely enjoys the songs because he returns regularly and even brings his court. “In order to surprise the mosquito coming near, Yao hesitated, caught the creature and swallowed. He answered although annoyed. “If it weren’t for me, you would be singing for my kin and the fireflies, not the Emperor.” Laughing, Chin reminded Yao that the Emperor comes to enjoy her captivating sounds not to watch a dinner be acquired so violently.

During the next evening, Yao did not go on his usual hunt, but watched instead as the royal parade came to listen. As Chin crooned beautifully, she did not notice the entourage becoming restless because of the detestable hoard of mosquitoes finding their own dinner amongst the group. The throng, who had risen in a panic, rushed off. Chin felt sad while realizing how important Yao had been in her own effort to please the Emperor. Flying to Yao’s perch, Chin begged his forgiveness, and asked that they work together to help their Emperor once again enjoy his evenings by the river. Yao agreed. Anxiously both awaited their evenings of harmony and peace.

Edited by mom31257

Beautifully done!!! Honestly' date=' you've outdone the sample writings in the course itself. ;)

What a great story!

"named Chin" might need commas - not sure. : )[/quote']

Thank you! I had such a good time doing it. I wished that I had watched this many years ago. I think it would have really saved me a lot of anxiety about teaching writing.

It reminds me of the Anasazi stories - it's great! Might be fun to make a small book illustrating the story. Your children have a great writing instructor. :)

That's so sweet! I haven't felt like one, but this has increased my confidence so much. I have a math degree, so I like that this is sort of like a formula but with lots of room for creativity.