Menu

Those experienced with PAH online Eng.courses...

Hello!

I wondered if those that have taken either the AP Eng. Lang. or the AP Eng. Lit. through Pennsylvania Homeschoolers could provide brief reviews of the instructors you had. I just would like to know if anyone has any specific recommendations, if someone is looking at the various sections offered.

Any info you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks!

My son just finished AP English lit with Mrs. Green, and has nothing but good things to say about both the teacher and the class. She is helpful, thorough, knowledgeable, and fair. My son did not want the class to end. He also thought he was very well-prepared for the exam, but also that the class is much more than just preparing for the exam.

He's taking AP English lang next year with Mrs. Bell. We read the descriptions of the three choices, and he liked the sound of her class the best.

Dd took English lit with Mrs. Bell. She did not particularly enjoy the class; dd did not find Mrs. Bell's feedback on essays helpful. Also, Mrs. Bell used the threat of poor grades as a means of motivating her students, which dd did not like since dd is already a highly motivated student. The threat of a B or even a C just annoyed her. She did receive an A, but was one of only four in the class to do so. Other kids might find the grading issue discouraging. Also, the class only studied five books, which surprised me. It was a very worthwhile class, however. (Dd received a 5 on the AP exam.)

Ds took English Language with Bethany Gilmour and really enjoyed the class. The essay feedback was VERY helpful and prompt, and she really encouraged everyone to work diligently on the material without nagging. (I don't know how she did it!) He found the online discussions very stimulating, and spent a LOT of time on that board. (Ds obviously hasn't received his score yet, but he felt very well-prepared for the exam.)

My DS is taking English Language with Mrs. Inspektor next year. We dithered over the different sections ... he didn't like the idea of having a blog (he's a very private person) so Mrs. Bell was out. I think he decided on Mrs. Inspektor primarily because she assured him that she would give him frequent feedback (he thrives on that) and because she's Mrs. Richman's daughter, and we both think the world of Mrs. Richman :) He's heartbroken that he can't attend the APUSH party at their farm this weekend (we're going to be at the beach).

We dithered over the different sections ... he didn't like the idea of having a blog (he's a very private person) so Mrs. Bell was out.

We dithered, too, Hilary, and my son liked the idea of the blog ;). That wasn't the only thing that drew him to Mrs. Bell's class (even having read Gwen's daughter's review of her lit class :tongue_smilie:), but it was difficult to decide. We corresponded with all three of the teachers for next year, and frankly, the classes all sound good.

Also, three of my son's friends will be in Mrs. Bell's lang class next year--and all three independently chose that class out of the three from the descriptions. But I agree with you about Mrs. Inspektor--I was almost sad that he didn't chose her class. She was just so nice!

Just to round out the choices on the English Language, my dd is planning to be in Bethany Gilmour's group -- she likes the idea of learning more about Thoreau especially since we live so near Walden Pond.

She'll be sorry not to meet up with your son, Kathleen; she enjoyed his discussion last summer in Summer Shakespeare II. Will he be taking Summer Shakespeare III this year?

Just to round out the choices on the English Language, my dd is planning to be in Bethany Gilmour's group -- she likes the idea of learning more about Thoreau especially since we live so near Walden Pond.

She'll be sorry not to meet up with your son, Kathleen; she enjoyed his discussion last summer in Summer Shakespeare II. Will he be taking Summer Shakespeare III this year?

This is so funny! One of the reasons my son did not decide on Bethany Gilmore's class was Thoreau. He read a bunch of T. this year in Am lit (yes, he had two literature classes), and the thought of reading more Walden etc. was more than he could bear :).

And yes, he is taking SS III this summer. Is your daughter, too? Connor wants to know what her name is so he can look for her.

And yes, he is taking SS III this summer. Is your daughter, too? Connor wants to know what her name is so he can look for her.

She is indeed, I pm'd you.

I guess Thoreau isn't for everyone (although I find him easier on the stomach than Emerson) but, if you live in Concord, he is part of the landscape.

My dd will also be in Mrs. Bell's class next year. She took Ms. Wilhelm's comp. class this year, so that was partly the reason we chose her and she also liked the sound of the blog and using some visual graphics/music as part of her expressions. This will be our first AP experience, so will be curious how it goes.

Jane