Menu

MOH - ideal age?

warneral

I am doing Core B and C (sonlight) right now but MOH really appeals to me. I love the sample I read! I'm trying to figure out how I could plan it into our future schedule.

My kids will be 2nd & 3rd grade next year. I wanted to do Sonlight Core D and then E taking 2 years through US History.

MOH REALLY appeals to me though. I am wondering what the ideal age is. I realize they say it is for all three stages but perhaps it would make the most impact at a certain age?

I could do 1 year of US History next year and move into MOH when they are in 4th & 5th doing a full 4 year cycle through 8th & 9th. Does this sound good? Any other suggestions?

I half want to cut bait and switch now but really cannot do that from a $ standpoint. I can't sell my Sonlight until next year when it is time to pass it on to a friend if she wants it.

MOH is best for 3rd through 8th grades. BUT here is what we are planning for this fall. We'll be doing SL B+C but I hope to integrate the MOH readings and possibly some of the hands-on activities as well to correlate with the SL books. We do have the audio CD for MOH 1 so we might just end up using that. Something to consider :).

We did MOH too soon IMO. We started it when my dc were in K4 & 1st. Although shockingly my dc LOVED it and really missed it when I shelved it. We enjoyed the timeline and the activities ALOT and I'll miss it so much since we're doing SOTW this year instead of trying MOH again. My dc are going to be in 1st and 3rd and STILL I think we'd need to wait another year or two before trying it again. Although fun and they learned ALOT..there was ALOT they weren't understanding and it had alot to do with their age and comprehension.

If I were you I'd personally not use it until 4th grade. On the low end 3rd, but no sooner.

OK thanks ladies! I really think I will wait.

I was originally planning on 2 years on US History so we could really dive deep on western ancients, colonization, rev. war, pioneering, etc. I am concerned if I do 2 years on US History, then DS would be 6th grade before starting MOH cycle.

OK thanks ladies! I really think I will wait.

I was originally planning on 2 years on US History so we could really dive deep on western ancients, colonization, rev. war, pioneering, etc. I am concerned if I do 2 years on US History, then DS would be 6th grade before starting MOH cycle.

For ds, I will be starting MOH in 6th grade. I plan to use the 4th volume (not out yet, but will be by the time I need it :)) for 9th grade for his world history credit. My dd has done volumes 1-3 and absolutely loved them.

OK great! I Love the idea of MOH and enjoyed reading her samples. I think I will just chill out and see how we like Sonlight this year and then go from there. We're already condensing 2 cores into 1 this year and I was hoping to take a slower pace next year so I'll just see how we do this year and go from there. Thanks for the help ladies. As much as I want to buy MOH now it will just be too uch curriculum to juggle and I'll eventually stress myself out trying to do it all!