Menu

Christine Miller's All Through the Ages

abidnginhim

I love it. In fact, I've been using it today to plan out our next school year.

I feel like it's very organized and easy to use. It also has time-line sections (just text) so you can plug dates and events in on your own time-line.

I'm trying my hardest to find books used or at the library, which makes the planning part a little more time consuming, but I don't mind. But if a book looks too good to miss out on, I'd pay for it new if I had no other options.

IMO, it's the kind of book you keep and use year after year.

ETA - to answer your specific questions, I do use it as a main part of our curriculum. My kids learn much more from reading good books than from standard curricula. And no, I don't feel it's overwhelming at all.

Edited by aliya
there is no "z" in "hardest"

At the library - not so much. But the book are coded as to where they are available so you can go directly to that company's website and order them.

Have you looked at the sample pages on CBD? You can see a good sampling of pages there.

I really do love this book.

This is an awesome book! We use a curriculum that already includes a weekly book basket list, but sometimes I'll pull out All Through the Ages to find extra books. Or if we are planning to do something different for awhile, this resource is invaluable for planning. For example, I used it to find books about Canada prior to the Vancouver Olympics. I also enjoy browsing through the book for ideas. It's well organized and very interesting!

I also like the fact that it has a Geography section with a list of books by various regions and countries. This book can be as much or as little as you'd like it to be. You could plan your whole curriculum or you could just use by looking up a few extra books on a subject.

Good luck,

Oh, also, I'd recommend the actual book and not the downloadable pdf copy of it that they sell on their site. It's fine, there's nothing wrong with it, but I really wish I could just hold it and thumb through it sometimes.

I also like the fact that it has a Geography section with a list of books by various regions and countries. This book can be as much or as little as you'd like it to be. You could plan your whole curriculum or you could just use by looking up a few extra books on a subject.

Good luck,

Thanks for letting me know about the geography section. Now it is on my wishlist! :-)

I just bought this so, it's be good to read how everyone is using ATTA. So far, we are just using it for reading suggestions. So, for next years VP history we will be using Ancient Room/Ancient Greece/New Testament. I'll browse through ATTA to get some Lit and historical fiction recs. The timeline and Geo. notes are nice to have too.

I've had this book for probably at least 10 years (so I guess have an older edition). I have used this through several history cycles and with several ages of kids (from preschool to high school) and with several different history curricula. When I plan a history year, I get out my book and look for suggestions. We have a good home library of older books, so I use that, but I will try to see if the public library may have some of them too. When we had a geography year, I used the geography sections. This is something I have used year after year!

Linda