Menu

Time to Teach organization skills

Ok, please bear with me. My DS 13(well almost) has dyslexia and ADD. I think it is time that he learn some organziation skills. Right now he is very heavily dependent on me sitting with him while he does his work. I am bringing home my other DS 9 so babysitting him all day will not work anymore:glare:. Right now I fill up his file boxes with his work. Then I nag him all day for him to get it done. I am done with this. I am not sure how to handle this. I would like for him to use a planner of some sort however, if he sees all the work he has to do in one week he will flip out and freeze up so I just can't hand him a list. I also want him to advocate for himself and not just sit there until I ask him if he needs help. Its a big bad world out there and he needs to beable to do things for himself! He needs some organization skills just not sure how to get him there...... suggestions please!

We are using Trisms (both boys) HM

Apologia General Science (CD course so he can use his Kurzweil) and Notebook

CLE Math 6

Verticy Grammar comp

Sign Language

My 14 yo son takes a lot of effort as well. Sigh. Last year I had him start generating his own list a day's work at a time (and encouraged him to start small, not just what he thought I was expecting). He's gotten to the point where he can do that on his own now. And I have to just sit back and cringe sometimes watching him work as I wean him from my sitting with him through everything. It's satisfying those days I actually see progress and when I look back I know that he is improving. We've got a long way to go, but I feel that we're headed in the right direction.