Menu

Help me find a book or video on medieval cosmology

dangermom

We're going to be in Medieval this year, and astronomy, and my daughter is in logic stage. One of my all-time favorite books is C. S. Lewis' Discarded Image, about the ancient and medieval picture of the universe before heliocentrism came in. Does anyone know of a book or video that explains that really nicely?

I'm sure there are other resources, but we're definitely learning about it in Joy Hakim's Story of Science "Aristotle Leads the Way" -- totally appropriate for middle school.

Also, there's also a cool picture book called "Starry Messenger" that you might consider checking out of the library. It's surprisingly interesting, but won't likely have the depth you're looking for.

Thanks. We do have Aristotle Leads the Way--but if you've ever read The Discarded Image, it's pretty different really. I want something that likes the order and beauty of the old system, and doesn't mind for the moment that it's factually incorrect.

I know you're specifically looking for a book, but you should also check out this fantastic exhibit at the Library of Congress: "Explaining and Ordering the Heavens: Views of the Universe" which features ancient, medieval, and renaissance star-charts and cosmological drawings from around the world.

Lots of pictures at their website: http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/world/heavens.html