Menu

i REALLY need some help! no clue what to do!!!

dd just finished taking the cat test and she did not do well at all. it was a battle the entire time, plus i even gave her extra time. all subjects were not great.

we recently moved to PA where the homeschool laws are rather strict. my gut instinct would be to repeat this grade again, but that would put her a year behind in the school districts eyes, so how do i test her then at the end of the year??? on the grade level they expect? or the one i have her on? im just at a loss here. it looks like although she has been doing fine all year, she didnt retain a darn thing. i honestly just don know what to even do for next year since this is obviously not working :( help please any thoughts!! im desperate!

I can't speak for the PA regulations, so take this for what it's worth... but my thought is that the biggest advantage of homeschooling is to go at the child's individual pace and use what resources and methods work for them, regardless of what the authorities claim is age appropriate. :grouphug: If I were you I'd test her at the level you have her at, because you are her parent/teacher and you know her best.

ETA: sorry, about your last question: does she have a dx of some sort? What are her struggles aside from retention? What teaching methods and resources are you using/have you used that have proved successful for her, and what has failed? What is her learning style? If you don't know her learning style, grab a copy of Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks. The answers to these questions may help us answer your question about next year...

Edited by specialmama

im unsure of her learning style, but now i do know that she needs something with lots of spiral repeat of previous learned skills. she has been using teaching textbooks for 2 years and just finished grade 4 before this test. before that we had used singapore and abeka, both of which were not her.

she is being tested here at the end of the month (after moving the appt took a while to get!) there looking at aspergers, bipolar, dyslexia, dysgraphia and i guess now i should mention dyscaulia possibly too to them! she is currently only diagnosed with adhd, severe impulsivity and takes intuniv 4mg.

how can i find out her learning style? especially with all the possible diagnosis? wouldnt that change the outcome of her actual "style"?

:grouphug:

Was this her first test? She might need extra practice taking these kinds of tests. I would get her some test prep books and work through those during the year. I would also school year round so that she doesn't lose so much over the summer. I think you are right that she needs more of a spiral technique. Rod and Staff might work well for you or Saxon. Don't be discouraged. You can do this. Be consistent. Work. Every. Day. bit by bit. Never give up. You will know more when you get your test scores back. But for now, love her, read to her, keep at it.