Menu

Copywork Overkill?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how much copywork you all do? My daughter will be going into kindergarten and is working on writing letters. She had completed A Reason for Handwriting K, so she can write most of her letters (obviously still needs practice though!). We have moved onto A Reason book A and are in the review phase where it's mostly just 2 letters and a few words that coincide with those letters, but after we get through that, A Reason for Handwriting gives a scripture verse for each week and it's divided up into pieces for 5 days. She loves actually writing words and sentences and is much more agreeable to handwriting when it has a meaning. My question is that our language arts program (Sonlight LA 1), has copywork as part of the program that is based on the reader we are reading. I like that that copywork is relevant to something she's doing now, but also love that she's learning to write scripture. So you think that doing both sets of copywork is overkill? Or just additional letter formation practice?

Well, I'd say you can probably play it by ear and see how it goes. Try doing both - if she likes writing and like doing handwriting when it means something, then doing both may suit her just fine. So from what you describe, she may enjoy doing two sets of copywork more than she would enjoy one set of copywork and one set of letter practice. Just make sure you are doing some other non-pencil subject in between so her hand doesn't get fatigued.

If after trying both for awhile she REALLY starts to balk then scale it back a bit. Maybe you can alternate and have her do the Sonlight copywork one week, and the scripture program the next week? That way you can still use both. But, I'm not familiar with Sonlight copywork so don't know if she would miss anything by skipping a week.

My boys are older, so the amount we do would not be helpful to you.

The child's ability and frustration level are probably the biggest determining factor of how much copywork you should ask of her. Remember that you will be able to increase the amount and/or length of the selections as you go, so start out where both of you feel comfortable. You can increase things as you find her able and willing.