Menu

Any reason not to use Caesar's English with a 6th grader?

I am not looking to use MCT grammar etc right now. But, my son wants some vocabulary work. He loves words. I've looked at CE 1 and it seems like something he would enjoy. I see it is more for grades 4-5, but I am considering this a supplement. I would use CE1 for 6th, CE2 for 7th and then the next one... word within a word (?) for 8th etc.

So, can is there any reason not to do that?

Our LA plan is to continue with WWS/ALL and then possibly switch to MCT for the high school years. Would starting CE1 now cause a problem with that?

And while I have your attention, how does one implement CE? I know I only need the teacher book. Is it a weekly lesson? I just hoping for some enrichment.

Thanks for reading.

CE teacher book is enough. There are quizzes in the back of the book and answers. I have a binder clip over the teacher pages.

There are 20 lessons in the book. They alternate between stems (odd lessons) and words (even lessons). Each lesson has 5 stems or words, then more information about them to flesh them out.

I'd think you can use the book however you want. You might be able to go quickly through it or you can take more time. MCT gives quotes from books where the vocabulary words are used. You could also use those as springboards to find additional books to read.

I'm starting my 6th grader in Town Level with CE1. (Actually, we're doing a 2-month whirlwind through Island first...). I really want my son to get a solid grounding in sentences and paragraphs FIRST. I'm not going to worry about Voyage until 7th, then do Magic Lens 8th and continue with MCT's final two levels in 9th and 10th.

The only issue I see is that it sounds like you would be doing Word within a Word by itself and then starting the rest of the level in 9th grade. Is this the plan? It would be best to do the whole level together, so I'd do CE1, CE2, and then the entire level for Word within a Word all at the same time.

The only issue I see is that it sounds like you would be doing Word within a Word by itself and then starting the rest of the level in 9th grade. Is this the plan? It would be best to do the whole level together, so I'd do CE1, CE2, and then the entire level for Word within a Word all at the same time.

Ah, yes. I see that now. Thank you for pointing that out.

I think he will enjoy CE and have fun with it. So, that means either we will go through it quickly or take our time.

Thank you for all your input.

starting my 6th grader in Town Level with CE1. (Actually, we're doing a 2-month whirlwind through Island first...). I really want my son to get a solid grounding in sentences and paragraphs FIRST. I'm not going to worry about Voyage until 7th, then do Magic Lens 8th and continue with MCT's final two levels in 9th and 10th

This is exactly my plan too, only we're also incorporating Bravewriter.

Unless you've done a bunch of latin roots and vocab, I think starting with CE1 would be great! We'd just do it once or twice a week. Read through. My son made his own flash cards with index cards and write sentences or a paragraph that contained them all. It was pretty easy and very effective!