Menu

Reading

aready

Where can I find a list of really good books for kids? I have a rising 2nd and 5th grader and both are ahead in reading. Also- I'd like to do some unit studies or lapbooks with some of the reading. Any good ideas of where to find cheap or free info on this?

Thanks!

Well, Homeschool Share is always a good place for free lapbooking materials. Check out Levels 4 and 5. (Level 5 is the chapter books.)

I personally own and like All Through the Ages, a resource that collates books from several major homeschooling publishers, Newbery winners, and loads of other books, and separates them out by recommended reading age within time periods and geographical locations. Most of the books are given a brief annotation. (You can see what this is like by checking out the free samples at the link above.) This is more useful for supplementing studies in history or geography, but I thought I'd mention it here.

There are also several lists floating around out there. Check out the ones at Paula's Archives, for example. (Go all the way down the page to "More Lists.")

Books to Build On by E.D. Hirsch, Jr. from The Core Knowledge Series (What every 1st, 2nd, 3rd grader... needs to know books). You could probably get it from the library. This is a grade by grade resource guide for parents and teachers divieded into sections for language arts, history and geography, visual arts, music, science, and mathematics. If you have boys I believe there is a book called 100 Best Books for Boys, by Michael Gurian (he is the author of the book The Minds of Boys that goes into all the new research on boy's brains and how the biology specific to boys applies to educating them). I bet your librarian can give you some titles of other resources.