Menu

Trying to economize IEW

Love_to_Read

If I promise to read the whole Seminar Workbook, and maybe get the TIPS DVD, can I skip the Seminar DVDs?

My plan is to use a theme-based American History writing course from them. If yyou can think of a cheaper way than Seminar Wkbk, TIPS, and History book, let me know...

Also, do you need to buy the source texts? Are they crucial? (Or are they cited well enough to obtain for free elsewhere, or meant to substitute like WWE?)

You know I hear what the reps say at the IEW booth about needing the whole kit and kaboodle (really what else are they going to say) I just don't believe it. It is my opinion and the opinion of a friend who has homeschooled forever that you can teach it using with the Student Writing Intensives and/or the theme based books. She taught her now high school student years ago with just the Binder and no DVDs.

On the other hand I have another friend who says if she didn't have TWSS & the DVDs that she would be lost teaching with the theme based book. I really think it boils down the aptitude and confidence of the parent teacher. Some of us need a little more hand holding than others.

Personally I can't stay awake during the DVD instruction :tongue_smilie:. My kids are doing great with what we've used in the past - SWI and theme based books.

The notebook has much more than the seminar DVDs (so far anyway -- I have watched them for two days). I love listening to him, and I have found it quite beneficial because the notebook itself is packed with info.

I am glad I purchased both and plan to sell the DVDs once I watch them, but if you really don't want to spend the money, I think you can skip them.

Oh, I have every intention of selling the DVDs if I buy them (used!!!), but we're planning on schooling year-round so I need everything as soon as possible, and I already have on my wishlist the theme-based writing, a bunch of HWT for preschool and Kindergarten, All About Reading, All About Spelling, and possibly HOD for Bible/History where I really do need hand-holding, and some more Math U See in a couple months. Gah! Even using library books for all our remaining literature, history, science readings, I'm needing to bring down the immediate grand total in any way possible.

I'm nerdy enough that I would actually read the handbook from cover to cover. I'd enjoy the DVDs, but I could probably retain the book info. I'm reading all my other teacher's guides right now, so not much difference... And I do love teaching writing, I've just never dealt with dysgraphia in a 5th grader before, and his method seems like just the right amount of hand-holding for the student.